HOME :: Records :: ::

Obituaries from Newspapers 1901-1902

February 21, 1901
Dies At His Daughter’s Home on Big Creek

Mr. Thomas Sanderson, father of Dr. Thomas Sanderson, of Kent, formerly of this city, died at twenty minutes past eleven yesterday at the home of his son-in-law, Mr. James Hinds, on Big Creek, Mr. Sanderson was one hundred and four years of age, and when a young man assisted in the construction of the Erie Canal. Away back in the fifties he resided on West Presbyterian Avenue, north of the Lower Seminary, and his children, including Dr. Sanderson, attended school there. The deceased was always a very interesting and intelligent gentleman, much respected by all who knew him. This death calls to mind the fact that within the past year four centenarians have died in Jefferson County, as follows:

White Dove, the Indian Princess, at the Poor House, aged 102,
William Denton, aged 101, in West Madison,
Mrs. Lavelle, aged 106, in Milton Township,
Thomas Sanderson, aged 104, on Big Creek

March 16, 1901
Passes Away Today at a Ripe Old Age

At the residence of his daughter on East Second Street at 10:30 o’clock this morning, Joseph Rea peacefully breathed his last, after a lingering illness, at the advanced age of 87 years and four months. He was born in Neadville, N. C. The death of Mr. Rea removes (possibly) the most famous horseman of the old school in the State, and but few in America, in his day, enjoyed so great and good a reputation as did the deceased.
At the early fairs Uncle Joe was the main stay and no fair or race meet was a success without his presence and helping hand. He developed and handled many famous trotters and pacers, most notable among which, was the race mare, Katie Middleton, which he sold for $8,000. He amassed a fortune dealing and
handling horses, which was afterwards lost in various ways.
Three living children survive him, Mrs. Kate Middleton, with whom he resided on East Second Street, Mr. Rea, at the Soldiers’ Home, Dayton, O, and Joseph Rea, Jr., trainer at Bitter Root Stock Farm, owned by the heirs of the late Marcus Daly in Montana.
The funeral will occur Monday afternoon from the residence on East Second Street.

March 17, 1901
Dies at His Residence Across the River

Captain James O. Snyder, whose health had been bad for several years, yielded his hold on life to the inexorable decree at 7:30 o’clock last evening at his home across the river, and his spirit took its everlasting flight into eternity. Mr.
Snyder had made several trips to Florida and the South in hope of regaining his failing strength, and when we last saw him and talked with him, he was cheerful and hopeful of the final outcome. But the anxious wishes of himself and friends were doomed to disappointment, as the body steadily weakened until at last the patient sufferer fell asleep in death, surrounded by his loving wife and children.

Would you wake him if you could?
He, who lies a slumber so,
Folded hands upon his breast,
With a countenance imbued
With such peace as seems to flow
From the source of endless rest!

Mr. Snyder had been for years the general superintendent of the Richwood Distillery, but he was mainly interested in farming and at the time of his death was the principal peach grower of Trimble County. He was a close student of the art of fruit raising, and no finer peaches were on the market than those grown in his well cultivated orchards. The deceased leaves several brothers, among them Hon. W. B. Snyder, besides a wife and several children, and his death will be sincerely mourned by all who had the honor of his acquaintance. The funeral will take place Sunday afternoon. Interment in the Moffett Cemetery.

March 26, 1901
Ex-Madisonian Dies in Wichita

A telegram from Wichita, Kansas, announces the death of Mr. Otis Page in that city at 1 o’clock this morning. He was born in this city and spent his early life here. A number of years ago he went to Kansas, where he has been engaged in the grocery business, building up a large and successful trade. For some time his health had been giving away. He died, at last, of Bright’s disease. He leaves to mourn his death, Mrs. Elizabeth Page, his mother, and Miss Anna Page, his sister, both of this city, together with a large circle of relatives and acquaintances. His mother and sister have been with him in Wichita during the winter, giving him all the care that loving hands could bestow. His niece, Mrs. F. L. Powell, went on a few days ago, just in time to see him before he died. Mr. page was a good hard working, reliable businessman, and was held in high esteem in Wichita.
We are not apprised of what disposition will be made of his remains. They will probably be brought back to Madison for interment.


May 2, 1901
A Well Known Employe of W. Trow Co.

The many friends of Mr. John Tarpy will regret to hear of his death, which took place at 7 o’clock this morning at his home, 418 East First Street. Mr. Tarpy was one of five brothers, only two of whom—James and Edward—survive.
The deceased was an industrious, hard-working man, and for twelve years had been in the employ of the W. Trow Company as a driver. He was generous, manly and popular, and at the time of his death was thirty-seven years of age. The remaining members of the family have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement. The funeral will take place from St. Michael’s Church at 9 o’clock Saturday morning. The friends of the family are invited to attend without further notice.


JOHN TARPY, aged 37, died at 7 o’clock this morning at 418 East First Street. Friends are invited to attend the funeral at 9 o’clock. Saturday morning from St. Michael’s Church.

June 17, 1901
Death of a Third Calvary Veteran (Civil War)

Mr. Robert Marshall died Saturday morning at one o’clock at his home on Lookout Mountain, Chattanoogo, Tennessee. He was a son of the late Robert Marshall, and a native of Jeffeson County. When the rebellion broke out in 1861 he enlisted here in the famous Third Indiana Calvary regiment and served gallantly with it in the Civil War.
Soon after returning from the war he took service as Railway Mail Clerk, and for a long time while a resident of Madison, served in that capacity on the Madison road. His health failing, he secured a transfer to Chattanooga, and up to a few months ago had been in the United States mail service there. He was a cousin of Capt. J. G. and Miss Matt Marshall of this city. A wife and three children—Sallie, John and Robert—survive.
The remains were brought by rail to North Madison and buried in Fairmont Cemetery.


June 17, 1901
An Old Soldier Sleeps His Last Sleep
(Civil War Veteran)

At his quiet country home in Wirt, Jefferson County, on Sunday afternoon, the end came peacefully to Rufus Gale, formerly one of the best known citizens of Madison, who was born about seventy years ago on the hill-top north of the city.
At the breaking out of the war of the rebellion Mr. Gale enlisted under the President’s first call, in Company C, Sixth Indiana Volunteers, of which he was elected First Lieutenant and was afterwards promoted to Captain. At the expiration of his term of enlistment he assisted the late Major Thos. Graham to recruit Co. H, Thirty-ninth Indiana, of which regiment Mr. Gale became commissary. He served throughout the war with credit. Soon after the war he became a candidate for Auditor of Jefferson County, and stood well for the nomination. But Alex. Rowlison, a one armed private soldier, announced for the same office, Mr. Gale promptly withdrew in his favor. Mr. Rowlison died in office, and Mr. Gale was elected at the ensuing election, and was re-elected at the following election, serving two full terms of four years each.
As a soldier Rufus Gale was always careful of the men under his command, constantly looking out for their welfare and comfort. As a citizen, he was a kind-hearted, generous gentleman, and in the days of his prosperity he gave liberally to church, charity and enterprise, and the needy ever found in him a friend. Indeed, he was too open handed, and his generosity was often imposed upon. His heart was so tender that his eyes were closed to faults, and his giving was sometimes harmful instead of helpful.
Mr. Gale leaves a wife but no children, his wife being a sister of Homer Sering, Esq. of this city.
The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon.

The funeral of the late RUFUS GALE will take place from the family residence in Wirt tomorrow afternoon. The funeral train will reach Fairmount about 3 o’clock. Friends are invited to attend.


William Brown, the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. P. Brown, formerly of this city, but now living in Indianapolis, died yesterday morning at Asheville, N. C., where he had been for several weeks in the hope of recovering his health. The news of his death was a shock to his numberless friends in this city, coming as it did, unexpectedly, and the family have their sincere sympathy. Will was a brilliant architect, and a bright future was predicted for him. The body will be brought here for burial.

There was no date recorded for this death but Springdale records indicate the date of burial was
February 11, 1902

Safe In The Arms Of Jesus

Early Sunday morning, little Richard Hendricks Colgate, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Colgate, was taken to his Heavenly Father’s home. He was loaned to earth for only a little while—a year and a half—but long enough to have the tendrils of love for him twine very close about the hearts of mother and father and all who knew his lovely little life. His taking from us now seems so strange, so sorrowful to us, but we recall Jesus’ bidding, “Suffer the little ones to come unto me and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of heaven.” In these words we find assuring consolation, and to them we point for comfort, and cheer the mourning parents, family and friends. And may this “little child lead them” on into the Kingdom. The funeral will be held at the family residence tomorrow at ten A. M., Rev. L. W. Doolan officiating. The burial will be private and in Springdale Cemetery.

February 22, 1902

This morning, at 9 o’clock, Francis Charles Heberhart passed peacefully to the spirit land. His death has cast a shadow over the entire city. He had been a patient sufferer for many days from a complication of ailments, and the immediate cause of his death is attributed to heart failure. Francis Charles Heberhart was born in Switzerland seventy-nine years ago, and came to this country with his parents when but four years of age. His father settled on a farm near Cincinnati, now known as St. Bernard. Mr. Heberhart came to Madison in 1840, when a young man, and engaged in the mercantile business, the manufacture of spices, and other enterprises until 1870. He was Secretary of the Firemen and Mechanics’ Insurance Company for several years, and afterwards for twenty-eight years was the faithful bookkeeper at the Peter Weber union Brewery. In 1882, while still with Mr. Weber, he and his son W. G. Heberhart entered into a partnership in the drug business, and for many years have successfully conducted business at the West End Drug Store. In July, 1900, after so many years of usefulness, Mr. Heberhart retired from business cares, turning the drug business over to his son, W. G. Heberhart, who is one of our most enterprising businessmen. Mr. Heberhart leaves a wife, a good Christian lady, a sister of the late Dr. G. A. Kunkler, who was for many years a practicing physician in this city. He also leaves four children, C. E. Heberhart, who until recently, was a pharmacist at the northwest corner of Main and Walnut streets; W. G. Heberhart, proprieter of the West-End Drug store, and the two daughters, Mary and Emma, who have resided with their parents. Mr. Heberhart was one of the oldest members of Monroe Lodge No. 2, I. O. O. F. He united with the Second Presbyterian Church soon after coming to Madison and has lived an upright, Christian life. He was very much attached to his family. He was a loving father and devoted husband, and was regarded as a good man by all his friends and neighbors. A good man has said: “Oh, Death, we will be avenged for this invasion. Thy stroke, through grace, shall prove a messenger of life, and be converted into a double blessing; and this whole family shall triumph over thee in the deathless land”. “There past are death and all its woes; There beauty’s stream forever flows, And pleasure’s day no sunset knows.” The funeral will take place at ten o’clock Monday morning from the family residence, northwest corner of Second and Mill streets. Immediate friends are invited.

March 3, 1902
Dies Suddenly of Heart Failure

At 9:15 this morning Mr. Jacob Eberle passed to the great beyond from heart failure, after being confined at the King’s Daughters’ Hospital for the past six months. He was in the 64th year of his age. Mr. Eberle was one of the finest of pattern makers; also in recent years a prominent miller until his health failed him. The funeral will be conducted by Rev. T. C. Gebauer of the Lutheran Church, from the residence of Mr. Arno Schmidt, on Thursday at 10 a. m. Burial in Springdale Cemetery.

March 3, 1902
Expires At The Old General Milton Stapp Homestead

Mr. William Stapp, one of the eight long lived sons of the late Elias Stapp, died at ten o’clock last night at his residence West Main Street. His widow was formerly Mrs. Davidson, she being his second wife. By his first wife, three children survive—Mrs. John McGregor, of this city, Mrs. J. S. Brown, of Taylor, Texas, and Mrs. Russell Stapp, of Afton, Iowa. Some time ago the deceased informed THE COURIER reporter that he was born September 19th, 1814 in Scott County, Ky. In the year 1818 his father, Elias Stapp, moved to Madison, where the family remained until about the year 1824, at which time he went with his father’s family to a farm which was subsequently converted into the town of North Madison, where he remained until 1832, when he returned to Madison and commenced his business life as clerk in the store of his father, with the late General Milton Stapp and J. F. D. Lanier, Esq. Here he remained as clerk until 1836, at which time he became a partner by purchasing Mr. Lanier’s interest in the store. Soon after this he, with his uncle, General Stapp, bought his father’s interest and continued the mercantile business—wholesale and retail, until 1843, at which time they closed their co-partnership. His next business was in dry goods and tobacco, in company with Mr. E. S. Ayres, which lasted only two years. Soon after he engaged largely in the plank road business, and was the owner of over one-half of Madison, Hanover and Lexington plank road, and was its Secretary and Treasurer until he disposed of his stock. His next enterprise was the wholesale boot and shoe business in company with his brother, D. W. Stapp, Esq. which was commenced in 1852. Some time after David withdrew in order to engage in the hat and cap business with his cousin, Edward Branham, Esq. While in the boot and shoe trade he became the partner of the late William Trow in the merchant milling business, and continued with him from the fall of 1859 until the mill burned down, February, 1887. Having sold out his boot and shoe store in Madison to Mr. C. A. Stanton, he opened a wholesale boot and shoe trade in Des Moines, Iowa, in the fall of 1882, which he continued until 1886. Since that time he had not been engaged in any regular business.
He had been a member of the Madison Baptist Church over fifty years and occupied the same business house about fifty years.
Mr. Stapp was a happy-spirited, pleasant old gentleman, full of interesting reminiscences of Madison, and his death will be sincerely mourned by many friends. The funeral will take place from the Vine Street Baptist Church at 3 o’clock Tuesday afternoon. Burial private.

March 7, 1902
A FORMER PRESIDENT OF HANOVER COLLEGE Passes Away at Reading, Pennsylvania

A telegram was received by Attorney Charles C. Heckman, of this city, last night, announcing the death of his father, the Rev. George C. Heckman, D. D., LL. O., at his home at Reading, Pa. yesterday morning at 10 o’clock. Dr. Heckman was pastor of the Third, now the Tabernacle Presbyterian church in this city from 1861 until 1867, and was president of Hanover College at Hanover, Ind., from 1870 until 1879. He was born at Easton, Pa., January 26, 1825, and graduated from Lafayette college, Pennsylvania and Princeton theological seminary. Soon after leaving Princeton he accepted a call to the pastorate of a church at Port Byron, New York. From there he went to Wisconsin, serving at Portage City and Janesville. He came to Indianapolis in 1861 as pastor of the Third Presbyterian church at Ohio and Illinois streets. During his ministry here the church was enlarged and greatly improved. From 1867 until 1870 he was pastor of State street church, Albany, N. Y. Accepting the presidency of Hanover college in 1870, he increased its endowment greatly and prevented it at one time from being abandoned. In 1879 he went to Cincinnati as pastor of the Avondale church, and soon afterward was made field secretary of the centenary movement at the Presbyterian church. In 1880 he located at Reading. He was nine times commissioner to the general assembly of the Presbyterian church and was twice nominated for moderator. Personally he was congenial, jovial and entertaining and he was regarded as one of the leading orators of the church. He was married Jan. 11, 1850 to Miss Josephina Davis of Eaton, Pa., who survives him. The children who are living are: Charles C. of this city; John C. of Cincinnati, connected with the Standard Oil company; William C., assistant superintendent of the United States railway service of Washington, D. C. and Mrs. D. B. Banta of Cincinnati. The funeral arrangements have not yet been made. (Indianapolis Sentinel, 6th).

March 12, 1902
Ends His Life By Suicide in Buffalo

Some friend has sent us a copy of the Denver Post of March 9th, containing the following telegram: Pueblo, Colo., March 8—Secretary C. H. Harris of the local lodge of Elks received a telegram tonight from Buffalo, N. Y., stating that M. R. Bright, a well known businessman and politician of this city who left here about ten days ago, had been found dead in that city, and asking for instructions regarding the remains. Bright committed suicide; The telegram is as follows: “BUFFALO, N. Y. March 8—To C. H. Harris, Secretary B. P. O. E., Pueblo, Colo. Bright dead. Letter left notifying you. Give instructions regarding remains.
Ed. S. Orris
“Grand Secretary”
The announcement that Bright was dead created a sensation in this city. He had lived here about fifteen years and until recently had been prominent both in business and politics. He was a Democrat and served one term as aldermen. Bright left here a week ago last Monday nominally on a business trip to Boulder. He had an important oil land deal on at that place. It is not known whether or not he went to Boulder. Last Wednesday he was a guest at the Albany Hotel, Denver. He appeared in good spirits and told the clerk he was going to step out but would return soon. That was the last seen of him, and nothing was heard from him until the telegram from Buffalo tonight, although friends had been searching for several days and it was believed that he was in Denver. Bright married the niece of M. B. Thacker, one of the wealthiest citizens of Pueblo. He was the father of several children, the eldest being a boy of 8. His wife is prostrate over the tragic death of her husband. Ever since her husband left Pueblo she has been uneasy about his safety. Bright for some time was manager of the Pueblo Gas Company, but retired from that company last June. Since then he has been conducting a cigar store, and more recently been acting as a broker. The remains will be brought back to Pueblo for interment.

Buffalo, March 8—M. R. Bright, of Pueblo, Colo, committed suicide at the Hotel Iroquois some time last night by taking a dose of laudanum. He was last seen alive at the hotel about 12:30 yesterday afternoon. This evening a bell boy, looking over the transom, saw his dead body lying on the bed. A few letters were left by the deceased, one of them to Senator Depew, one to the exalted ruler and secretary of the Pueblo lodge of Elks, and one to the management of the Hotel Iroquois, apologizing for committing suicide in the hotel.

March 25, 1902
An Old Time Madison Lady Dead in Massachusetts

Mr. Charles E. Godman, has been advised of the death of his sister-in-law, Mrs. Martha Sering Godman, at the home of her son-in-law, Mr. William Taylor, in Haverhill, Massachusetts. The deceased was a native of Madison, being a sister of the late Colonel Samuel B. Sering and of John Sering, deceased; also of the late Mrs. Joseph G. Marshall and of our fellow citizen James Sering, Esq. Her husband, Thomas Jefferson Godman, is still living at the age of eighty one at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Taylor. After leaving this city with her husband they made their home at Dubuque, Iowa, for a number of years, subsequently, after the marriage of their daughter to Mr. Taylor, going to the latter’s residence in Haverhill, where they have since continued to live. Mrs. Godman, who was in the seventy fourth year of her age, was sick but a short time, having been seized with her fatal illness on Tuesday of last week and dying on Sunday at 3 o’clock. In her girlhood and young womanhood, and also in maturer years, she was known and loved by many in this city, who will be pained to hear of her demise and sincerely sympathize with her bereaved companion and other relatives. She was a Christian of the Presbyterian faith, and in all respects a loving wife and mother. The interment was at Haverhill.

April 2, 1902
The Veteran Foundryman, Passes Away

Mr. U. B. Stribling died at one o’clock this afternoon at the family residence on West Second street. U. B. Stribling was born April 19th, 1825. He was a son of Thomas T. Stribling and Sally Vawter, his wife. He was born and raised to the age of 17, on the old homestead farm near North Madison. His education at school being very limited, he attended school perhaps as long as one and a half years at the old log school house, known then as the Franklin School house, located about half a mile from the Stribling farm. But being very fond of books, his main education was obtained by home reading and the purchase and reading of books after leaving home, which practice he pursued during life. He was especially fond of Bible biography and the study of theology. In the year 1842 he joined the Baptist church at Harberts Creek; then spent three years in the city of Madison, learning a trade. In 1845 joined the Baptist Church at Coffee Creek, in Jennings County, by letter. Married Hester Ann Cobb, daughter of John Cobb, of Paris, October 12th, 1845. United with the Baptist church of Coffee Creek in 1845. Became a member of the North Madison Baptist Church in 1855. Joined the First Baptist Church of Madison in 1864, and remained a member until the hour of death today, when he joined the church triumphant.

April 15, 1902
JEFFERSON COUNTY’S OLDEST ATTORNEY-Summoned by Death to the Final Tribunal

Mr. J. G. Marshall is in receipt of a telegram conveying the announcement that Hon. J. Y. Allison died yesterday afternoon. For nearly a year past he has been living with his daughter, Mrs. O. B. Gordon, at Paris, Ill., and his death occurred at that city. The telegram conveying the intelligence of his death did not state when he would be buried or where. For the past year judge Allison has been in very feeble health, and his mind has been very much impaired, and two weeks ago he was sent to a hospital for treatment, but he neither recovered either his mental or his physical strength. Judge Allison was in his eightieth year. He was admitted to the practice of law in the Jefferson County Circuit Court in September, 1846, and practiced the profession of law here for more than fifty years, being at the time of his death the Nestor of the Bar. He served in the State Senate, was Prosecuting Attorney and Judge of the Circuit Court for twelve years. He was a prominent Odd Fellow, having been a member of Madison Lodge, No. 72, of this city for fifty years, and during the war he was a representative of that order from the State of Indiana to the Sovereign Grand Lodge of the United States. Judge Allison was born August 20, 1823, on Indian Kentucky creek in this county. He learned the trade of wagonmaker with the late James H. Graham on Rykers Ridge, and in 1837 moved with Mr. Graham to Hanover, where he subsequently attended college. In 1846 he was admitted, along with the late Judge J. W. Chapman (who died in 1865) to practice law in the Jefferson Circuit Court. In 1847 he was chosen City Attorney, and from 1849 until 1854 was Circuit and Common Pleas Prosecutor. In 1856, during the Fremont campaign, he was the Republican Elector for this Congressional District. In 1864 he was elected State Senator by over 1,000 majority. He served in the City Council in 1871-72, and in 1873 was elected Circuit Judge, and was renominated for a second term, like Judge Bear, by acclamation. The surviving members of the family are Mrs. Allison, Graham and Charles Allison, and Mrs. O. B Gordon, of Paris, Illinois.

May 29, 1902

Mr. Thomas McGregor, aged 70 years, died at his home on Vine St. at 7:30 o’clock this morning. Deceased was a well known and highly respected citizen. The funeral will probably occur Saturday morning.

June 3, 1902
Another Veteran Soldier Silently Retires

About 6:30 o’clock last evening the expected came to Mr. William Middleton, for he had been sick and off duty for months, and when the final summons came his family and friends were in no way surprised. He had suffered for years from rheumatism, and owing to inability to do work of any sort had retired from active business a few years ago as a member of the Middleton and Wyman Coal Company. Mr. Middleton was a son of the late James Middleton, and was born in Quebec, Canada, Jan. 18, 1844. He came to Madison with his parents when a mere boy, and was educated in our public schools. When the war of the rebellion broke out he enlisted in the famous Third Cavalry, and was a gallant soldier until honorably discharged. In 1879-81 he served as City Treasurer, having been elected on the Republican ticket, and in 1885 he was Sheriff of Jefferson County. Mr. Middleton leaves three brothers—Joseph at Flat Rock, George at Chicago, and James at Minneapolis. He also leaves a wife, having married a second time, and three children—Charles, George, and Mrs. Joe Schofield. The children will all be present at the funeral, which will take place at 2:30 o’clock p m, tomorrow, and the interment will take place in Springdale Cemetery. Mr. Middleton was an enthusiastic Grand Army man, a Mason, a Red Man, a Pythian and member of Washington Fire Co. No. 2. He was a big hearted man, brave as a lion and generous to a fault, and his death will be sincerely mourned by hundreds who enjoyed his friendship and knew his worth.

June 3, 1902

Mrs. Kate White dispatched from Denver, Col., today to her mother, Mrs. Jane White: “Aunt Helen died last night. Funeral tomorrow afternoon.” This brief announcement will be read with sorrow by many old Madison friends of the deceased, who was the beloved wife of the late Mr. Samuel Cochran, formerly of the McKim & Cochran Furniture Co. of this city.

June 13, 1902
The Veteran Sunday School Worker

Mr. Joseph Roberts, the old-time butcher and Sunday School Superintendent, died last midnight at his home on East street.
Mr. Roberts was born in Philadelphia ninety-one years ago, and had lived in Madison most all his life. He was a member of the Second Presbyterian Church, and for years conducted mission Sunday schools in and near the city.
The funeral will take place Friday afternoon at four o’clock. Interment Springdale.

July 12, 1902
The Sudden Loss of a Worthy Citizen

Although not unexpected, the announcement of the death of Robert A. Williams, which took place at 2:30 o’clock this morning caused a feeling of sadness and general expression of sorrow throughout the city. A few weeks ago, Mr. William suffered from an injury to his arm, by being thrown from, or falling from his horse. Nothing serious was apprehended after the dressing of the wound, but during the extremely hot days which followed, Mr. Williams, being ambitious to be about, and anticipating no danger, probably over exerted himself, with the result that blood-poison set in terminating in lock jaw; and causing his death as stated, despite the best efforts of a number of physicians, including the family physician, Dr. Geo. C. Lewis, Dr. G. E. Denny and Dr. J. B. Williams, a brother of the deceased, who was called from Anderson when his condition became critical.
Mr. Williams was a man of large physique and enjoyed excellent health. His sudden taking away brings forcibly to mind the fact that “in the midst of life we are in death.” On Wednesday morning he was in his store, three days later he is a corpse.
Mr. Williams was a son of Remembrance J. Williams, Esq. of Monroe township, and was born in that township on the 4th of July fifty five years ago. He leaves a wife, formerly Miss Baxter, and four children, Mrs. Mel Litson, Miss Lois Williams and Masters Charles and Robert Williams. His brother, Dr. J. B. Williams, of Anderson was at his bedside when the end came as were also his two sisters, Mrs. Anna Shook, of San Jacinto, and Mrs. Mary Singer, of Foltz, and another brother, Willard Williams of Haney’s Corner.
The deceased had been in the commission and feed business for several years in this city, and was quite popular and successful in the trade. He was a much esteemed member of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church and was seldom absent from his seat, especially on Sunday mornings. He belonged to no other organization or society, but was faithful in all the relations of life—as husband, father, friend and neighbor. The loss of such a citizen will be keenly felt, while the grief of the stricken family can but be in a measure assuaged by the knowledge that he was a good man and as such has entered into rest.
The funeral will take place on Sunday morning from Trinity Church, the sermon to be preached by his pastor, Rev. W. M. Whitsitt. The body will be taken to the Craig graveyard in Monroe township for interment.

July 13, 1902
Death of a Well-Beloved Former Madisonian

A dispatch from Indianapolis yesterday afternoon announced the death of Miss Sarah J. King at the home of her nephew, M. J. Lyle Clough, of Irvington. Death was not unexpected and the sainted spirit of this devoted Christian took its flight from earth in assurance and peace.
Miss King was born in Madison, and spent her entire life with the exception of the last few years in this city, making her home with the family of her sister, Mrs. Susan N. Clough. Her father was Mr. Victor King, one of the prominent citizens of Madison, and John Lyle King, Esq., who died in Chicago some years ago, was a brother. When but fifteen years of age Miss King united with the Presbyterian Church, and throughout her life was a devoted and faithful member. Even when deafness prevented her hearing much of the service, her place was never vacant, and her familiarity with the Scriptures was the result of long study and meditation.
The body will be brought to Madison on Monday morning, for interment in the family lot, Springdale Cemetery. Funeral services will be conducted in the lecture room of the First Presbyterian Church at half past eleven o’clock upon the arrival of the train.