HOME :: Records :: ::

Obituaries from Newspapers 1903-1908

March 12, 1903
ASLEEP IN JESUS-“Then God Spake and It was Morning”

Mrs. James White died this morning at 5 o’clock at her home on Broadway. He maiden name was Margaret Jane Kellaway. She was born December 2nd, 1845, at Cashmore, Dorsetshire, England. She came to this country October, 1865 and was united in marriage to James White, December 5th, 1867. Five children were born to them, four of whom are living-James Kellaway White, Mrs. T. B. Ireland, Misses Margaret Elizabeth and Charlotte Burge White. The funeral will be held from the residence on Broadway Saturday morning at 10 o’clock, and will be conducted by Rev. W. A. Bodell, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, of which she was a member for many years. She was confirmed by the church of England when she was fifteen years old, but April 2nd, 1868, with her husband, she united with the First Presbyterian church, of which she was a consistent member until her death. For sixteen years she was an invalid and a great sufferer; but in the midst of here severe affliction was ever patient, bearing her pain with sweet submission. She will be greatly missed in her home and by her friends, but our loss will be her gain. Into that world no sickness nor pain, nor death can enter. “It doth not yet appear what we shall be, but when he shall appear we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.” Then we shall have a body like unto His glorified body, and be clothed in the robes of His righteousness. “Who are these who are standing before the throne of God, singing praises unto His Name? These are they who have come out of great tribulation whose robes have been washed in the blood of the lamb.”

March 23, 1903
Dies at His Home in Santa Barbara

W. G. Wood, Esq., of South Poplar street, has received a postal card from Mr. Delos G. Wood, of Santa Barbara, California, announcing the death of Dr. G. W. Southwick, at Santa Barbara, March 17th, of bronchitis, after only a few days’ sickness. He was 92 years old last July. Dr. Southwick formerly lived at Fairmount, occupying the residence now belonging to the Hon. Joseph M. Cravens, and was well known and had many friends in this city who will regret to learn of his death.

March 27, 1903
Hurt by a Fall With His Horse on Main Street-HE DIES AT THE KING’S DAUGHTERS’ HOSPITAL

At four o’clock yesterday afternoon occurred one of the most deplorable accidents it has been our painful duty to record. John V. Connolly, a young man whose name is a familiar one to all our readers, was riding one of his horses, a large sorrel, up Main street, accompanied on another horse by his little friend Graham Francisco, the fourteen year old son on Hon., Hiram Francisco, when Mr. Connolly’s horse slipped on the west crossing and fell at the intersecton of Main and Walnut streets. As the horse went down Mr. Connolly, attempting to alight, caught his left foot in the stirrup and plunged head first, young Franciso thinks, upon the street car track, and the heavy animal rolled partly over him. Dr. Kremer’s office being close by, he was first called, and afterwards at his suggestion Dr. Ford, the Connolly family physician, was sent for, and the two made a critical examination of the wounded man at eight o’clock at the Hospital. Dr. Kremer is of the belief that Mr. Connolly’s head did not hit the metal track, as there was a big lump on the left parietal bone, which was severely bruised, but the skin was not broken. They found a fracture of the skull at the base of the brain, with intra-cranial hemorrhage, a sure forerunner of death. The accident was witnessed by Mr. Charles Nodler, Sr., Mr. Grahm McTyre and others, and the latter was the first to reach the spot. He grabbed the horse by the bridle and brought him to his feet, when Mr. Schilling and others picked Mr. Connelly up and carried him into Mr. John Hoagland’s stable office, where he received every possible attention. In a few minutes, as the news of the tragedy spread, a great crowd gathered in the vicinity. The sufferer was placed on a cot and Dr. Kremer, Ford and Denny were called. It was learned that no outcry of any sort was made by Mr. Connelly, the force and suddenness of the fall rendering him instantly wholly unconscious, and some time elapsed before any sound escaped his lips, when at last he began to moan as if in great pain. He recognized no one, however, and for some hours, from the time of the accident until nine o’clock, he remained in a profound coma or condition of unconsciousness. He was carried on a cot, half an hour after the accident, to King’s Daughter’s Hospital, where he gradually grew weaker until life’s pulsation ceased. Mr. Connolly was a son of the lat Christopher Connolly, and was born in Madison forty years ago on the 14th of February last. He was full of life and energy, a man of warm and generous impulses, and hundreds who know and admired him will drop tears of sorrow over his sad and unexpected taking off. No man in the city was better posted on horses and horsemen, none more competent to judge as to their qualities for good or evil. Of late years he had spent xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
Mr. Connoly a few years ago purchased the old paper mill building and site on Crooked Creek, which he converted into a model livery barn, in which he stabled many choice animals, buying and training them and preparing them for the market. Horse fanciers in this and other States trusted largely to his judgment in the selection of animals, and his business was becoming more extensive and profitable each year. When his father and other members of the family moved several years ago to Indianapolis, John said that Madison was good enough for him, and as he could not well keep house, never having married, comfortable apartments were fitted up at his place of business, where he lived with his brother George. The latter, who is also a favorite horseman, was with him to the lst and is naturally greatly affected by his death, refusing to be comforted. Mr. Connolly had for many years been one of the most active members of the Volunteer Fire Department, being for a long time Chief Director of the Western Fire Company No. 3, to which position he was again unanimously chosen at the last company election. The bells of the department were tolled shortly after the announcement by telephone that Mr. Connelly was dead, and genuine regret was expressed by all classes of citizens for few men had as many friends. Without controversy, he will be greatly missed and mourned. The surviving members of the family are Misses Mary, Rose, Jennie and Nona and Will, of Indianapolis, and George, of this city. The remains of Mr. Connolly were taken this afternoon from the hospital to the residence of Mr. Pataick Wade, on West main street. The time of the funeral has not been fixed.

April 2, 1903

Death has of late been a frequent visitor to Madison and vicinity, removing from our midst many loved, honored and familiar friends.
Today we are called upon to chronicle the sudden demise of Dr. William D. Hutchings, our oldest practicing physician, who has long gone in and out of the homes of our people on medical and social calls and who was known and respected by the community in general.
The venerable doctor died of heart failure at 8:15 o’clock this morning. He was dressing for breakfast and remarked to Mrs. Hutchings that a strange sensation was passing over him. He laid down and immediately became unconscious, the vital spark deserting the body before another word was uttered.
The doctor had taken occasion a number of times recently to remark that he felt he was fast nearing the close of life’s journey. He had suffered several heart attacks, the last one previous to the fatal stroke being day before yesterday; but he refused to give up, and had not at all taken to his bed.
The deceased was born in 1825 at Lexington, Ky., and grew up there. He attended Transylvania University at that city. He was a graduate from the Asbury University in 1857, and later from the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, where he took second honors. He practiced medicine for a quarter of a century at Lexington, Indiana, and was married there in 1861 to Miss Matilda Koehler, who survives and was with him at his death.
In 1876 he came to Madison, and ever maintained a place in the front rank of our medical practitioners. Five daughters survive- Josephine, at Chicago; Mrs. John C. Zulauf, at Jeffersonville; Misses Maude, Lide and Zoe, at home; and two sons-Dr. Robert Hutchings, at Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Frederick, at Bay City, Michigan.
Dr. Hutchings was a very intelligent gentleman, a great reader, and a devoted student of his profession. He was the discoverer of a specific for yellow fever, also a cure for goiter, and a diphtherial cure, and it is said he lost but two pneumonic cases during his long and successful practice in Madison. The time for the funeral will be announced when all the children have been heard from.

Not date given but Dr. William Davies Hutchings died April 2, 1903
The Masonic and Episcopal Church Services

The funeral of Dr. William D. Hutchings took place from the family residence on West Third street at 2:30 o’clock on Sunday afternoon. The Episcopal service was read at the house by Rev. F. N. Chapman, D. D., rector of S., Paul’s Church, Jeffersonville, who was called to officiate on account of the absence of Rev. W. H. Bamford in Jerusalem. The exercises being of a private nature, only the immediate relatives were present along with the members of Union Lodge of Masons, to which the deceased belonged. At the grave, in Fairmount Cemetery, the Masonic funeral service was impressively read by Mr. J. Curtis Marshal, Worthy Master of the Lodge. There were twelve pall bearers, as follows: Hon. W. T. Friedley, Archibald S. Graham, L. W. Lory, Peter Denzer, Cleon T. Branham, S. E. Leland, A. J. Wyatt, Edward Colgate, Dr. W. D. Hennessy, Charles R. Everson, Dr. J. Cooprider, Dr. W. A. Graham, Greenville Johnson

April 6, 1903
Pioneer Photographer, Popular Lodge Man

On Monday morning last, apparently in his usual health, Capt. Joseph Rupert Gorgas was out on the street for a while, but became ill and returned to his home, whose portals he entered for the last time alive. Partial paralysis and congestion of the brain ensued, and after lingering until six o’clock this morning he gently fell into his last sleep. Capt. Gorgas came as near enjoying the fullest respect and confidence of the people as any man in Madison. He was born at Greensburg, near Pittsburg, in Pennsylvania on the 7th of February, 1829, and came to Madison with the late Irby Smith fifty years ago this month to clerk in the latter’s dry goods store. His first wife was Miss Belle Lowe, the daughter of Mr. John Lowe, a prominent shoe merchant her in the fifties. In October, 1865, he was married to Miss Delphena Verry, who survives him, together with their only child, Mrs. Edward E. Powell. He was associated in the daguerreotypic business in those early days with Mr. Paul Dewey, and succeeded to the full control of the business a little later on. For a time he was in partnership with Mr. Oliver Mulvey. The last special work he did was the enlargement of the photo of his long-time friend Mayor John G. Moore, which with the photos of the preceding Chief Magistrates ornament the Council Chamber of the City Building as memorials alike of the artist and the Mayors. For nearly half a century he was known as the pioneer artist in his line in Madison, and only recently disposed of his interest and good will in the trade to Mr. George L. Spalding. The Captain was a member and Vestryman of Christ (Episcopal) Church, and also held membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Wildy Encampment, La Belle Riviere Lodge, Juaniata Tribe of Improved Order of Red Men, the Knights of Pythias and Madison Council of the Benevolent and Protective order of Elks. He seemed to take especial pride in his connection with Madison Lodge of Pythians and Madison Lodge of Odd Fellows, being for years the Captain of the working teams of both organizations. He was a member of the Joint Board of Trustees of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He served also with fidelity and usefulness in the City Council as representative from the Fourth Ward of which most of his life was spent. In politics he was an ardent Republican. Captain Gorgas was not a noisy, demonstrative man, being always quiet and straightforward, pursuing the even tenor of his way, doing all the good he could and casting sunshine on many a shaded pathway. Only last week it was related to us by a well known citizen, who had been in hard luck a number of times, that someone had come secretly to his relief, and it was a long time before he found out from another that Captain Gorgas was his friend indeed. Farewell. Good citizen, faithful friend. Peaceful be thy silent slumber, blessed forever be thy memory. The funeral will probably not be before Wednesday.

IN SPRINGDALE The Remains of Captain Gorgas Buried This Afternoon

The funeral of Captain Joseph R. Gorgas took place from the family residence, southeast corner of Third and Poplar streets, at 3 o’clock this afternoon. The floral offerings were profuse and beautiful. The services at the house were conducted by Mr. Ingalls, of Indianapolis. There was a large attendance of members of the orders to which the deceased belonged.
The body was laid to rest in Springdale Cemetery. The pallbearers were-John G. Moore, Charles A. Wymond, Raphael Kronenberger, Ed Reed, Frank M. Harper, Ellison D. McGuire, Charles Geile, John T. Schofield, James White, James H. Crozier, Edwin G. Niklaus and Clements Wewer (?).

April 20, 1903
Dies at the Home of Her Niece at Louisville

Brief word has been received in this city of the death of Susan F., wife of the late Archibald Guthrie, at the home of her niece, Mrs. George H. Wilson, 39 Saint James Court, Louisville. Her death took place at three o’clock Sunday morning. She was in the 69th years of her age. The remains will be brought to Madison tomorrow for interment alongside of her husband in Springdale Cemetery. The body will arrive on the noon train Tuesday, and be taken direct from the station to the cemetery for burial. As funeral services will be held in Louisville, there will be only a brief service at the grave her conducted by Rev. Barnard.

May 13, 1903
John W. Allen

Mr. J. W. Allen, whose death took place at eleven o’clock Saturday night at his home in North Madison, was a native of Jefferson County, where he was born seventy-eight years ago. He was a blacksmith by trade, and had served as a Justice of the Peace for Madison township. He was a soldier in the war for the Union, having been a member of the 54th Indiana Infantry and Regiment. Esq. Allen was a leading Odd Fellow of the North Madison Lodge. He was a sturdy, honorable, fair-minded man, held in high esteem by those who knew him best. He leaves an aged wife and one son, Joseph, of Washington, Davies County, Ind. The funeral took place this afternoon at two o’clock from the family residence, Rev. Frank Miller, of the Methodist Church, officiating. The interment was in Fairmount Cemetery.

June 23, 1903
Closes a Long, Honored and Useful Life

After a prolonged illness, varied by intervals of partial restoration and temporary arrest of desease, Mrs. Drusilla Cravens, widow of the late Hon. John R. Craven, passed peasefully away shortly after nine o’clock this morning, exchanging the earthly tabernacle for the house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. Death intervened not so much because of any specific disease, but rather on account of nature’s exhausted powers. For she came to the end of life “in a full age, like as a shock of corn cometh in his season.” Her death leaves a large void in the community, and a circle of relationships and interests will feel the loss of her presence and influence. Mrs. Cravens came of a noble ancestral lineage. She was endowed by nature with an inheritance that all might well covert; a vigorous physical life, a well balanced mind, and an equally well balanced and forceful character. Added to these were an early training and gracious influence developing in her a rare and beautiful type of womanhood, wifehood, and motherhood. She had deep, strong, positive convictions. There was in her no leaning to the follies and fripperies of the world. Her tastes and sympathies were for the purest and best things in life. She was strongly domestic in her tastes. Her heart was centered in her home. As all her children will cordially and lovingly bear witness, she was a queen there. The mother of a large family, all the wealth of maternal interest, love and care were given to her children.
Of quiet, unassuming habit and graceful mien, she was the embodiment of a beautiful womanhood. She loved simple surroundings. Accustomed to abundance and wealth, she yet preferred a simple home life with its genuine refinements and grace of natural surroundings to all the mere forms of ostentation and fashion. Moving in the circles of wealth and culture and gracing any social surroundings that she entered, she yet sought out and made friends among the humble, the lowly, and the poor. She had a large measure of the spirit of sympathy, and helpfulness, and benevolence. A great deal of her benevolence was done in such a quiet unostentatious way that few knew anything of it save the recipients.
But she was actively identified with other public charitable and benevolent institutions, like the Drusilla Home for aged women, the Orphans’ Home, and the King’s Daughters’ Hospital. The first of these has, for years, engaged her heart and hands. She loved her church and, until recent years of broken health, was a faithful attendant on its worship and a generous giver to its support. In fact she always had a helping hand for the poor and needy, and every appeal for a good cause received a ready response from her.
Her beautiful home on Fairmont, through the long years her presence has graced it, has been the scene of many delightful social gatherings. She and her husband, the late Hon. John R. Cravens, were conspicuous types of the earlier citizens of Madison, ornaments to their day and generation and worthy of being reverenced and imitated by us all. Fond memories will linger long around that home on the hill, for so many years beautified and hallowed by a mother’s graceful presence, loving care and devotion. But with the light gone out of the earthly home, and the windows darkened, and the loved ones silent in death, we have the fair vision of our Father’s house above, bright with the light of the better life, and we hear the voices of our loved ones as of those not lost but gone before. “And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, write, blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: yea saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors; and their works do follow them.” The children: John Paul Cravens (deceased), Robert Cravens, James Lanier Cravens, Alexander Cravens, William Jackson Cravens, Elizabeth Gardner Cravens, Charles Cravens, Joseph Marshall Cravens, Mary Louisa Cravens, Drusilla Lanier Cravens, Franklin L. Cravens (deceased) Margaret Winslow Cravens (deceased). The grandchildren: Anna L. Rott, Joan P. Cravens, daughters of Mollie R. and the late John P. Cravens; John C. Sage, Drusilla Sage, children of John and Mary L. Sage; Charles C. Davidson, William R. Davidson, children of Dr. W. R. and Mrs. Ed. G. Davidson; Ridgeway Cravens, Drusilla Cravens, children of Franklin Cravens; Margaret Cravens, daughter of Alexander Cravens. Further notice will be given as to the time and place of the funeral. No flowers.

Madison, Ind., June 23, 1903

In the death of Mrs. Drusilla Lanier Cravens, Madison loses a most gracious presence and distinguished personality. No woman has ever occupied quite the place in our local social world as Mrs. Cravens. A daughter of one of the most prominent, wealthy and widely known of our earlier pioneer merchants and bankers, Mr. J. F. D. Lanier, she was wedded in her youth to a grandson of the founder of the city of Madison, and a gentleman of talent, worth and distinction. The families of John Paul and J. F. D. Lanier were thus united, and with them other old and honored families of Madison were associated by ties of blood and marriage. Dr. Robrt Cravens, of Virginia, died at too early an age to leave his impress upon the community, but it is not too much to say that his only child, John Robert Cravens, amply filled the measure of influence, esteem and popularity in the county. What a noble union that was, celebrated in the old Lanier homestead on Second and Elm streets in 1844, when John Robert Cravens and Drusilla A. Lanier were married. The couple-young, handsome, endowed by nature with the choicest gifts of mind and character-immediately became a center of a wide circle of devoted relatives and friends. The home they established has been a house beautiful, hospitable, generous-the fountain of kindnesses, charity, blessings-widespread and incalculable in this community. Who that in his boyhood or girlhood knew the Cravens home will ever forget it or cease to cherish the memory of the elegant, lovely woman who was its center, its charm and inspiration? Never in France, nor in the old Dominion, was there a more stately, beautiful lady-one properly proud, of whom all about her were proud an full of admiration and devotion. In the person, character and life of the deceased, for whom this entire community mourns, was assembled the fruitage of all that family breeding and wealth can confer. The sun shines, day and night comes as of yore, but a great shadow has fallen on many hearts and ours will not erase the memory or influence of Drusilla Lanier Cravens from amongst those whose private
……………………………………………………………… Remains Laid to Rest in Fairmont Cemetery

The funeral of Mrs. Drusilla Cravens took place late this afternoon from the family residence on the hill. Dr. Barnard, the officiating minister, paid eloquent and feeling tribute to the life and character of the deceased, and appropriate music was rendered by Mrs. Reid and Misses Emma and Anna Eaverson. The interment, which was private, was in Fairmount Cemetery. Four sons and two son-in-law served as pall-bearers-namely: James Cravesn, Alexander Cravens, Charles Cravens, Joseph M. Cravens, John Sage, and Dr. W. R. Davidson.

June 26, 1903
Widow of William V. Clough, Dies at Indianapolis

A telegram was received yesterday afternoon announcing the death of Mrs. Susan N. Clough, of Indianapolis. Mrs. Clough and family lived for many years in Madison and had a large circle of friends here. She was a daughter of the late Victor King. The family will arrive with the remains tomorrow on the morning train and the funeral will be at four o’clock in the afternoon from the residence of Misses Lyle, West Third street. Friends are invited.

Burial This Afternoon in Springdale Cemetery

Rev. W. A. Dodell officiated at the funeral of Susan N., widow of William Clough, which took place this afternoon from the residence of the Misses Lyle, West Third street. There was a large attendance and a profuse display of floral tributes from Indianapolis and old Madison friends. Those present from Indianapolis were: Miss Lida Clough, Miss Birdie Clough, Mr. and Mrs. John Lyle Clough and daughter. The pall bearers were: C. T. Branham, John K. Weyer, W. O. McLeland, James Stuart, H. S. Moffett, Chas. Alling and S. M. Strader.

April 16, 1904
John Eckert
Released from his Sufferings at Last

After a long and hard fight for his life, John Eckert surrendered to the inevitable, and his spirit passed into eternity at five o’clock this morning at the family residence on North Poplar Street. Mr. Eckert was born at Udenheim, Germany, in 1811, and came to Madison when eighteen years of age. He was apprenticed to the late “S. Anger, locksmith and bell hanger,” with whom he was learning the trade of a tinner when the war of the rebellion broke out. Like hundreds of other young men of his age in this city he promptly enlisted as a volunteer soldier to assist in upholding the honor, integrity and glory of the flag of his adopted county. After the suppression of the rebellion and the restoration of peace he returned to Madison, where he engaged in business later on, and by wise management and safe investments he had acquired a fair share of this world’s goods before he was taken down sick. He was just closing his career as Councilman in the Fourth Ward, and was one of the oldest Odd-Fellows and Firemen in the city. He was conscious of his approaching end, and talked freely about it to his more intimate friends. His death was due to diabetes, from which he suffered at times most excruciating pains. He would have been sixty-three years old next month. Mr. Eckert was a man of sterling honesty and was a friend to those in need. As a husband, he was faithful and loving; as a father, thoughtful and kind; as a friend, loyal and true; as a mechanic, reliable and capable; as a citizen, valuable and enterprising. His work is done, and his business has passed into the hands of his sons Edward and Frederick. The other children are Mrs. Kate Belser, Mrs. Carrie Becht, Mrs. Lona Elbert, and Walter, Charles and William. These, with a devoted mother, mourn their loss. Rev. Paul Bourquin, of the Lutheran Church, will officiate at the funeral Monday afternoon. The funeral party will leave the house at 2:30 for the church, where services will be held at 3. Burial in Springdale.

March 5, 1904

Miss Josina Cummings, of this city, died in Chicago yesterday, at the residence of her sister, Mrs. Bourgine. Miss Cummings was one of the few old people left who bound the Madison of today with the Madison of earliest times. She was the daughter of Judge David Cummings, a leading citizen and attorney, and resided in what is now the West Madison public school. In the early day this was a handsome residence surrounded by beautiful ground, and set in the midst of the Cummings farm. Miss Cummings was an excellent woman and a member of the Second Presbyterian church. Her remains will arrive from Chicago on the noon train tomorrow. The funeral will take place from the train.

June 15, 1904
An Old Citizen and Retired Merchant

John Geen, Jr., eldest son of John Geen, deceased, died about half past eleven o’clock last night at the family residence on North Broadway. He came to Madison with his parents from England over half a century ago, and for many years was prominently identified with the tailoring and dry goods trade of the city. His father was one of the pioneer and influential members of the Baptist Church on North Vine street, of which the son had also all his life been a member. He had not been in active business for a long time, living quietly with his wife and daughter, their only child, on Broadway. His brother William died a year or so ago, and all the members of the family had preceded him to the grave except one sister, Mary, who is living at Indianapolis. His daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Geen Johnson, of Illinois, has been with him for several weeks and was present when the end came. He would have been seventy-five years old on the twelfth of July next. He was a man of quiet, reserved life, spending nearly all his time at home. He belonged to no society.

December 19, 1906
His Body Brought to Madison for Burial

The remains of Mr. John W. Vail, who died at Indianapolis, were brought in on the noon train today for burial. He was a brother of Leander and George C. Vail, and was born in Madison sixty-three years ago. His wife died several years ago, and three children survive—Miss Fannie at Indianapolis, Mr. Chris H. Vail of this city, and Mr. Edward Vail, who is a news- paper editor in Ohio. He has been a commercial traveler for several years with headquarters at Indianapolis. He was a Mason and a Pythian, and was recognized as an honorable and upright citizen. The funeral party was met at the train by relatives and friends of the family, and the remains were taken direct to Springdale Cemetery and laid to rest. A brief religious service was held at the grave by Rev. George J. Abey, Rector of Christ Church, the funeral sermon having been preached last night at Calvary Church in Indianapolis. The friends who served as pallbearers were:
Greenville Johnson
James H. Crozier
J. M. Nichols
Wm. A. McGuire
C. R. Nicholson
Albert E. Haigh

February 19, 1907
BLOOD POISONING—-Causes the Death of Another Well Known Citizen

Captain A. J. Wyatt, aged eighty-two years, died at fifteen minutes before two o’clock this morning at his home, the Shrewsbury mansion, on West First Street. His death was the result of blood poisoning, which originated in an injury to his elbow.
Captain Wyatt was born in Mount Sterling, Kentucky. He married nineteen years ago to Miss Mary Shrewsbury, who survives with a bright and interesting little daughter Eleanor. He was a Mason in Kentucky, but his membership was never transferred to his adopted city.
The son, Mr. Hayden Wyatt, will arrive tonight from Louisville. The funeral will be from the house at 3 p.m. tomorrow, Rev. Geo. J. Abey officiating. The burial will be private.

February 27, 1907
Dies Peasefully at His Home on West Main Street

Dr. George C. Lewis died at 2:30 o’clock this morning at his residence on West Main Street. He had but recently recovered from a serious sick spell, which was followed by an attack of grip, but he was so far recovered as to leave no fear on his part of early death, and had so expressed himself, speaking hopefully of the future. It was known that he had heart trouble, however, and his family were not surprised that suddenly in the early morning the wheels of life stood still. Twenty minutes before the end came he conversed pleasantly with Mrs. Lewis, who went into a doze just as he fell asleep, and waked to find him dead. Dr. Lewis was a son of the late Dr. James R. Lewis, and was born May 23, 1855, at Canaan. In that village and this city most of his young life was spent, attending the public schools and laying the foundation for his life-work. For two years he was a student in Hanover College. Choosing the profession of his honored father he attended the Ohio Medical College, from which he was graduated thirty two years ago. He was married Nov. 8, 1876, to Miss Mary J. Demaree, who with their four children—Mrs. Flora McCorkle and Dr. James R. Lewis, of Indianapolis, Miss Jean and Mr. George Lewis, Jr., of the city, survive him. The Doctor practiced medicine at Kent and in Madison; served as County Coroner eight years, and for several years as secretary of the Board of Health. He was a member of the U. S. Medical Board of Pension Examiners, a Red Man and an Odd-Fellow, and took a demit several years ago from the Kent Lodge of Masons. He was well known and liked all over the county as a gentleman and physician, and his demise will be sincerely mourned by many who read these lines other than the relatives and members of his own family. The latter can feel assured of the earnest sympathy of the community in their great sorrow.

July 27, 1907
Probably Fatally Stricken with Apoplexy

Mr. John A. Zuck was stricken with apoplexy about eleven o’clock last night. Mrs. Julia Sappington and here two daughters, Mary and Marie, had spent the evening at his house, and with Mrs. Zuck, he was taking them home. He was walking in front with the two girls, and Mrs. Zuck and Mrs. Sappington were following. On reaching Mr. Greenville Johnson’s sidewalk, corner of Third and Mulberry, his feet seemed to give way and he weakened, catching hold of the iron fence, while the ladies tried hard to hold him up, but his weight was too much for them and he fell to the sidewalk. Mr. Victor Schneider, Mr. Curtis Marshall, Mr. Frederick Glass, Mr. Johnson and a few others soon gathered and assisted him to a bench or a sofa, upon which they laid him and conveyed him to his home. He was taken in the back way, down the alley past Grace Church, in order to reach home quickly, and when half way down the alley he became unconscious. Almost immediately after reaching home he closed his eyes, perhaps forever. From the first he appeared not to suffer in the least. Dr. Cook was the first physician called who made his appearance, and he rendered efficient service, as did also Dr. Hatch and Dr. Cooperider, who came later. Mr. Zuck remained wholly unconscious through the night, and continued in that condition today, the only change being that he became weaker all the time. Mr. Zuck was born in Madison fifty-six years ago, and was a son of Andrew Zuck, a prominent grocer and leading citizen of half a century ago. He was educated in our public schools, and was a man of considerable intelligence. Widely and favorably known. He was a G.A.R. and one of the youngest soldiers in the Union army. He was a veteran volunteer fireman, and under the new State law Mayor Cisco made him chief of the department, which he resigned on entering the Council, and Mr. Jas. Hargan was appointed to fill the vacancy. He served with great efficiency for several years as city clerk, and was chosen teller of the national Branch Bank while acting in that capacity, being subsequently promoted to cashier. Mr. Zuck was a leading society and lodge man, and in all these organizations was a favorite. “For sweet charity’s sake” he was nearly always on the program in entertainments given for the poor and other laudable purposes. He was an Elk, a Redman, a Pythian, an Odd-Fellow, and a member of all the Masonic lodges. He was elected a member of the City Council at the last general election in the Third Ward, and was chairman of the Committee on Finance and member of various other committees in that body, wielding quite and influence on all questions for the public good. He was also for a number of years president of the M. & M. Club, and afterwards of the Commercial Club. At 4 p.m. there was no change in Mr. Zuck’s condition.

July 29, 1907
John A. Zuck
Ending of an Honorable and Useful Career

After lingering from midnight Friday until eight twenty o’clock this morning the wheels of life stood still and the soul of John Andrew Zuck departed from his mortal body to that mysterious country from whence no traveler returns. There is little to add to that already said in theses columns about the man whose life has been as an open book in this community. His death makes many vacancies, not all of which can be filled, and universal sympathy goes out to his bereaved wife and relatives, whose loss is irreparable. Mr. Zuck was a Redman of National prominence, having thrice been Indiana’s representative in the Grand Council of the United States, and at the time of his death was Chairman of the Finance Committee of the Supreme Lodge of the Order in the United States. Mr. Zuck left an insurance policy of $3,000 with the Royal Arcanum and $1000 in the Pythian Endowment Rank. The funeral will take place Wednesday afternoon at three o’clock from the family residence on North Jefferson Street. The burial will be in Springdale cemetery.

THE LAST SAD RITES-Burial of John A. Zuck at Springdale.

The ceremonies attending the funeral of Mr. John a. Zuck this afternoon were quite imposing, the attendance being large, including citizens, representatives of the city government and members of the several lodges to which the deceased belonged. At the house, where there was a mass of handsome floral offerings, Rev. Dr. Barnard had charge of the religious services, being assisted by Rev. T. A. Johnson. Appropriate music, “Abide with Me,” was rendered by a quartet composed of Mr. and Mrs. A. M. Graham, Miss Mary Rankin and Mr. F. P. Vail. The Mason, the Grand Army of the Republic, Knights Templar, Redmen, Pythians, odd-Fellow, Elks and Fire Department turned out in large numbers. The pall-bearers were:
James White
Albert C. Greiner
Edward E. Powell
George F. Harper
Fergus W. Cochran
Frank M. Harper
Joe L. Schofield
Frederick Glass
George T. Mayfield
Charles R. Johnson, Jr.

October 1, 1907
Suddenly Expires from a Stroke of Apoplexy

Miss Susan Wilberforce Lyle died suddenly at 11:30 o’clock last night at her residence, south-East corner Main and Elm streets. She had been in her usual health, becoming ill only two hours before the end came. Her sister called Dr. Williams, who pronounced it a case of apoplexy. Miss Lyle was a daughter of Hon. Wilberforce Lyle, and early day lawyer of Madison, and was the last but one of the family. For many years she had been a teacher in the city schools, and only yesterday remarked to her sister that she would attend the Eggleston School dedication, because for fifteen years she had taught in the old Upper Seminary, the site of the new building. The deceased was a life-long member of the First Presbyterian Church, whose pastor, Rev. F. C. ________, will officiate at her funeral, which will take place from the house on Thursday afternoon. The burial will be on the family lot in Springdale Cemetery.

October 19, 1907
The Death of Mrs. John A. Sage This Morning

Mrs. John A. Sage died suddenly this morning about 9:45 o’clock. Her husband and son were in the family residence on Main and Broad with her at the time. Mrs. Sage has been under a physician’s care for some months and was urged to take the complete rest a sanitarium affords to those suffering from nervous disorders but the deceased, who was devotedly attached to her children, was unwilling to close their home and be away for so long a period.
Death, coming so suddenly and shockingly, has filled the hearts of friends with grief and saddened the entire community. Mrs. Mary Cravens Sage was the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John R. Cravens, deceased. She was born and reared in Madison. Like her mother and sister, Mrs. Sage has been an angel of mercy to many homes in Madison, helping the unfortunate, nursing the sick, lending a helpful hand and speaking a kind word wherever sickness, sorrow or want were found. She has been a tenderly devoted mother and wife, daughter and sister. He circle of friends was large and fond. The young people loved her home and its congenial mistress and were daily and nightly guests there. Mrs. Sage leaves a husband, Mr. John A. Sage, a son Mr. John C. Sage, and a daughter, Miss Drusilla, who will ever treasure her memory and mourn her loss. Her sister are Mrs. William R. Davidson and Miss Drusilla Cravens. Her brothers are Messrs. Robert, James, Alexander, Charles, William and Joseph Cravens. Mrs. Sage was forty seven years of age. She was married in the city in 1884. No arrangements as yet have been made for the funeral.

The funeral and burial of Mrs. John A. Sage took place this afternoon at 3:30, all strictly private. The officiating ministers were Rev. George J. Abey, of the Episcopal Church and Rev. Dr. Barnard,, of the Presbyterian Church, the printed service only being used. The interment was in Fairmount Cemetery, and the pall-bearers were: J. W. Cornett, Albert T. Weber, A. m. Graham, N. P. Graham, Curtis Marshall and William H. Todd.


Dr. Joseph G. Rogers died at Long Cliff, near Logansport last night. He will be buried there Monday next. Dr. Roger’s death was sudden and unexpected. He has suffered from kidney disease for several years, but was thought to be much improved recently. A specialist spent a couple of days with him lately and said there was no immediate danger. Dr. Rogers was born in Madison in 1841. He was the eldest son of Dr. Joseph H. D. Rogers, a distinguished physician and surgeon of his time. “Dr. Joe” as the younger physician was familiarly known in Madison, finished his education in Paris, France, and was an accomplished scholar, scientist and machinist as well as a physician and surgeon. His practice in Madison was large and remunerative. In 1877 Dr. Rogers was placed in charge of the Central Hospital for the Insane. Later he became the superintendent of construction of the great hospital at Long Cliff, and, upon its completion, the superintendent in charge. His executive and mechanical ability, combined with his knowledge of medicine, and superior mental ability, made Dr. Rogers signally successful in his difficult and delicate work. He was an authority in all questions relating to the insane and the management of hospitals. Dr. Rogers was married in 1873 in Bedford, Penn., to Miss Margaret Watson. The surviving children are Mrs. Maurice Winfield, Jr., of Logansport; Dr. Clark Rogers, of French Lick; Dr. Lynn Roger, of Michigan; Mrs. H. B. Stewart, of Logansport, and Miss Margaret Roger, of Long Cliff. Fortunately Mrs. Roger’s sisters, from Bedford, happen to be with her. Dr. Rogers was the oldest of the older Rogers brothers, of this city, and Mr. William G. Rogers and Mrs. Howard Graham will leave tomorrow to attend the funeral.

March 23, 1908
For Many Years a Coachman for Mr. Richard Johnson

At his residence on South Broadway last midnight Mr. William Stokes died, after a protracted illness, of chronic malignant disease of the liver and bladder. He was born near Richmond, Va., sixty-two years ago, and when a young man entered the Union Army and made an honorable record as a soldier. Several years after peace was declared he settled in Madison and about thirty-five years ago took employment as family coachman and driver with Mr. Richard Johnson, serving in that capacity until disabled by illness, to the full satisfaction of his employer, Mr. Johnson said this morning he wished the Courier, the home paper of Mr. Stokes, to say for him that in all his long years of service for him he was prompt and reliable, attending faithfully and cheerfully to his duties, so that he never had occasion to say a cross word to him. The deceased was twice married, both his wives still living, also six children, three by his first and three by his second wife. Many years ago he belonged to the Broadway Baptist Church, but at the time of his death he belonged only to the Eureka Lodge of Masons in this city. The funeral will probably be Wednesday.