Please note that Google does not always return accurate search results within our site. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you have comments regarding this feature, please contact Google Customer Service
Samuel Culbertson, aged about 67 years, died at the home of Robert Danner, near Caledonia Church, last Friday, January 5, at 10 o’clock, after a six days illness of pneumonia. Mr. Culbertson, who had lived all his life a bachelor and most of the time alone, went to Mr. Danner’s home after he was stricken with the disease that caused his death. He was a man of considerable wealth, owning 320 acres of good timber land and much other property beside. Just the amount of money he has left is not known. He was very secretive about his business, but it is known that he had amassed a considerable fortune.
Mr. Culbertson leaves two sister-in-law, Mrs. Anna Culbertson of Illinois, and Mrs. Robert Culbertson of Kansas.
The funeral took place Saturday afternoon at 3 o’clock from Caledonia Church.
Samuel J. Smith
Samuel J. Smith died at twenty minutes past eight o’clock Saturday night at his home at the corner of Poplar street and Presbyterian avenue. He was in his ninety-first year and was a native of Harrison County, Ohio. In 1838 he came to Madison, where in 1839 he was married to Miss Sarah A. Hire, who died many years ago. The children living are James H. Smith of Chicago, and Mrs Emmett, who with her daughter, Mrs. Alice Tandy (?) were with him through his illness.
For many years Mr. Smith was a merchant tailor and clothier, but of late and until his illness had been in the insurance business. He was a man of the strictest integrity and possessed the respect and confidence of the community. He served on the school Board from 18xx to 1859, was a member of the City Council from 1867 until 1881, and Mayor from 1882 to 1884. He was a member of Madison Lodge xxx xxx of the Daughters of Rebekah xxx was the oldest Odd-Fellow in Madison and probably the oldest in the State.
The funeral took place at four o’clock this afternoon, and the services were conducted by Rev. C. D. Williamson, of the Second Presbyterian church, assisted by Rev. T. A. Johnson, of the First Baptist church. The burial was in Springdale cemetery. The pall bearers were: Benjamin F. Wells, John A. Zuck, John Knoebel, Frank M. Hill, J. Wilber Cornett, John L. Phillips, J. Curtis Marshall and W. Anderson Graham.
Capt. James G. Wright
A Tribute to his Cherished Memory by George Cary Eggleston, the Author.
To the Editor of the Courier A friend has sent me clippings from The Courier concerning the death of Captain J. G. Wright, and I am grieved to the heart. His kindness to me in my boyhood led me to love him, and the sterling qualities of the man made a deep impression upon my young mind—an impression altogether good and for good. He was upright, genial, kindly and full of sympathy with his fellow beings.
Perhaps you will permit me to correct one or two small errors in your account of him in order that when the local history of Madison shall come to be written, these may not creep into it.
You say that he “built and commanded the first steamer City of Madison”. That was not the name of the boat. She was the “Madison Belle” and the packet service between Madison and Cincinnati was at first conducted by her and the “Swiftsure” No. 4, commanded by his brother, Captain Thomas T. Wright. Later the “Wisconsin” No. 2, and the “Wisconsin” No. 3 replaced the “Swiftsure” and Captain J. G. Wright built the “Hoosier State” to take the place of the “Madison Belle”.
The mention of those boats recalls to my mind a story that Captain Wright used to tell. He was not a religious man but he had a great affection for that good old man the Rev. John Miller, who lived to a ripe old age in Madison, and the affection was warmly reciprocated. Father Miller would travel on no steamboat but the “Madison Belle”, and Captain Wright used to insist that when the old gentleman was pastor of Wesley Chapel, he always included in his pulpit announcements of prayer meeting, etc., the statement that “The Madison Bell will leave for Cincinnati on Thursday and Saturday.”
I suppose the story was apocryphal but it was good truth in so far as it reflected the loyalty of the friendship that existed between the aged minister and the young xxx xxx xxx.
Capt. Joseph G. Marshall
No Date Given
The funeral of Captain Joseph G. Marshall took place this forenoon from the family residence on West Second street, where appropriate religious services were held by Rev. D. Snyder, Rev. Dr. Barnard and Rev. Edgar MacDill, and music by the Eaverson sisters. There were handsome floral offerings as well as eloquent tributes in memoriam by the ministers in charge of the exercises. The remains were conveyed to the northern hilltop and laid to rest in the Marshall family burial lot at Fairmount. The active and honorary pall-bearers were: Judge Hiram Francisco, Hon. Joseph M. Cravens, Hon. Edward S. Roberts, Charles H. Eaverson, M. C. Garber, Capt. Albert E. Haigh, C. R. Johnson, Jr., Benjamin F. Wells, James Clegg, Walter C. White and H. Graham Francisco.
Mrs. Sarah Clement
Mrs. Sarah Clements, wife of the late John Clements, died this morning at ¼ to 9 o’clock at her home on North West street. She was born at Six Mile Cross, County Tyrone, Ireland, and would have been eighty-four years old on the first of August next. She came to America in 1847, and to Madison in 1853. She was married to Mr. Clements at Louisville on May 11, 1853. For over half a century she had lived in Madison, loved, honored and respected by all who knew her. Her husband, for many years a leading businessman and manufacturer of Madison, died December 18, 1902. Three devoted sons survive—William and Thomas of this city, and James of Memphis, Tenn. These were all at their mother’s bedside when she passed away. She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church and a noble Christian woman. The sorrowing and afflicted ever found in her a sympathizing friend. To the poor, both hand and heart were open, and she will be greatly missed by them. She belonged to the class that makes for the betterment of a community and whose usefulness and worth is never fully appreciated until they are gone. Peace to her ashes, and rest to her soul. The funeral will take place at 2 p. m. Thursday. Burial at Fairmount.
Capt. Silas. Q. Howe
Capt. Howe’s funeral exercises were held Tuesday afternoon and were conducted by Rev. John W. Johnson and W. C. Watkins at the M. E. Church in Patriot. The body was taken to Cincinnati Tuesday evening, where it was cremated, after which the ashes were brought to Madison for interment, arriving on the noon train today. Frank, Quinn and Eli Howe, sons of the deceased, Messrs. Harry Hargan and John McCormack, sons-in-law, Hon, D. D. Green and Wm. Gockel, representatives of the Masonic Fraternity, R. O. Wickman, and A. L. North of the Odd Fellows Fraternity, of which orders he was a member, accompanied the body to Cincinnati. He died of pneumonia. Personally Mr. How was a genial man and the soul of honor. He was a man of commanding influence in his community and will be sadly missed.
Robert B. Craig
After months of patient waiting at the portals of eternity, the w
soul of Mr. Robert B. Craig, Madison’s oldest pioneer merchant, passed from earth to the land of rest.
Mr. Craig had been in the grocery business in Madison for over fifty-five years, and was in the ninetieth year of his age. He was, next to Mr. John Schram, the oldest member of Washington Fire Co. No. 2, was a member of Monroe Lodge No. 2, I.O.O.F., and belonged to the Second Presbyterian Church. Until taken down with his final illness, and even while he lay on his sick bed, Mr. Craig was a man of a very cheerful and sunny nature, always greeting everyone with a kind word and a pleasant smile. Throughout his long confinement he suffered very little pain, the end coming gradually and peacefully on account of extreme age. His mind was remarkably clear to the last for one of his years, and he enjoyed living, but was willing “to depart and be with Christ.”
A wife and five children survive him, two sons having died many years ago. The surviving children are – Edward Craig, of Bloomington; Anna Safford, of Pittsburg; Frank Craig, of Hanover; Elizabeth Bush, of Omaha; Fred Craig, of Indianapolis. The burial will be in Springdale Cemetery, the date to be determined when the absent children arrive.
(according to DAR died July 2, 1905. May have misread year date)
Mr. Max Kronenberger, whose long and useful life came to a close last evening at 4:23 o’clock, was one of Madison’s oldest and most highly respected citizens. Born June 1st, 1819, he came to American in 1848 from Hopfstadton, Germany, and to Madison in 1850. The same fall he was united in marriage at Cincinnati to Miss Henrietta Moss, whose death took place six years ago.
When one so many years identified with Madison reaches the farther end of life, his passing deserves more than a simple mention.
Mr. Kronenberger was at the time of his death Madison’s oldest resident, and the oldest member of the Congregation Adath Israel, being one of the founders of the synagogue. For many years, associated with his late brother Lehman Kronenberger, he carried on the fur and hide business under the firm-name of L. & M. Kronenberger, and established a reputation for uprightness and honorable dealing all over this section of the State. This large business now falls exclusively into the hands of his son Raphael, who has been with him ever since long before the death of Mr. Lehman Kronenberger.
Mr. Kronenberger was an Odd-Fellow in high standing, holding his membership with Madison Lodge No. 72, and was also a member of Wildey Encampment. He became an Odd-Fellow Feb. 1868. He was also a member of Walnut street Fire Co., No.4, and the bells of the department were tolled last evening soon after the announcement of his death.
The surviving children are, Mrs. David Dessauer, of Martinsville, Ind.; Mrs. Benjamin Dessauer,of Hillsboro, Ohio; Isaac Kronenberger of Brazil, Ind.; Raphael, Hattie, Leah and Rachael. The four last named made their home with him, and ministered gently and lovingly day and night to his every comfort during his protracted illness, which was due mainly to the infirmities of age.
The funeral will take place Thursday morning at ten o’clock, Rabbi I. L. Stern officiating. The interment will be in the Jewish burial ground in Springdale Cemetery. The pall bearers will be- Raphael Kronenberger, Isaac Kronenberger, Louis Kronenberger, Ben Dessauer, David Dessauer, Alber
Dessauer and Aaron Dessauer.
Vinton A. Matthews
Mr. Vinton A. Matthews, whose death occurred at two o’clock this morning at the home of his son Joseph on West Main street, was one of Nature’s noblemen, a gentleman of the old school, a patriot, an honest and an honored citizen. Born at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, January 18, 1824, he had entered the eighty-third year of his age. Of a family of seven sons and three daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Matthews, deceased, he was the last survivor. He was married December 26, 1849, at New Richmond, Ohio, to Miss Emma Emerson, who died April 20, 1899, in this city. Of their four children, two are living—Mrs. Mary L. Richardson, of Denver, Colorado, and Mr. Joseph R. Matthews, of this city. He came to Madison in 1844, and in 1855 united with the Presbyterian Church holding his membership there at the time of his death. He was also a member of Monroe Lodge No. 2 and Wildey Encampment No. 2, Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of La Belle Reviere Rebekah Lodge.
In 1845 he enlisted in Captain Thomas L. Sullivan’s Company, Col. James Lane’s Third Indiana Infantry regiment, and participated in the battle of Buene Vista and other engagements in the Mexican war. But few of his comrades from this locality are living—Calvin Cisco, Israel Fowler, Charles Conover and John P. Hollis being all we can call to mind. A carpenter by trade, he built many houses in Madison. Going South in 1857 he assisted in the erection of many old plantation residences, in Arkansas and Mississippi. His compxxx xxxx in house building were John Gingrich, Wesley Cummins, Joseph Reid, William McKinney and H. M. McCune.
He leaves five grand-children, Harriet M. Brubacher and Helen E. Richardson, Denver, Colorado, Blanche R., Vinton H. and John S. Matthews of this city. He was a man of splendid virtues, one who believed in his God, his country, his home and his friends—one who ever looked on the sunny side of life, even down to old age, meeting all the vicissitudes and diversified perplexities of existence with a smile. On his tomb we lay the tribute of our highest regard. Peaceful be his silent slumber.
The funeral will probably take place on Saturday morning from the home of his son, and the burial will be in Springdale cemetery. Dr. Mattingly will have charge of the services, assisted by Dr. Barnard.
Gustavus J. F. Van Buren
(Tombstone in Ryker’s Ridge Cemetery says he died April 20, 1906)
Gustavus J. F. Van Buren was born Feb. 9, 1837 on Ryker’s Ridge, Jefferson County, Indiana and departed this life in Trimble County, Kentucky April 20th, surrounded by all of his immediate family and many of his friends. Mr. Van Buren was a loving husband, devoted and indulgent father, and these beautiful characteristics were extended to his last moments. xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx we can say that Brother Van Buren died peaceful in the hope of a crucified, but newly risen Redeemer.
O. (Oliver) M. Powers
At half past seven o’clock this morning, Oliver M. Powers, whose eyes had long been closed to earthly scenes, passed quietly away to open them again amid the beauties of the better land. He was a native of Franklin County, Ind., and would have been eighty-seven years old on Friday, 29th inst. He was a Lieutenant and afterwards promoted to Captain in the Third Indiana Cavalry. After the war he settled in Madison and in 1865 bought out George T. Van Pelt’s Millinery store and carried on the business here for several years. His first wife was Miss Sarah L. Wilkerson by whom he had two children-James Powers of Chicago and Mrs. Elizabeth Daily of this city, both of whom survive. After the death of his first wife, he was united in marriage by Rev. L. G. Adkinson in 1873 to Miss Fannie Meuser, who survives, and who during his many years of blindness had been his faithful help mate. The deceased has been totally blind for several years and partially so for about thirty years and has drawn a pension of $72 per month.
Captain Powers belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic, to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and was a member of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church.
The funeral will take place from the house on Friday next, the anniversary of his birth, the sermon to be preached by his pastor, Rev. xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx.
Major Thomas Graham
At quarter past four o’clock this morning, after a week’s battle against the inevitable, Major Thomas Graham surrendered his spirit “to God who gave it.: The once happy home, where love and joy had long reigned supreme, is now desolate as the result of Death’s first visit to the family circle.
To the union of the first Thomas Graham and his venerable wife, who still lives, were born six sons and one daughter. Of the children the survivors are Alexander, Robert, Archibald, and Mrs. Elizabeth Hartley. Those who have fallen asleep are John, Wm. P., James and Thomas. The later was the fifth son. He was born on the 12th of August, 1839, in the building at present occupied by Mr. Fred Bach as a clothing store, which was then used as a bakery and residence by the Graham family. He was educated in our city schools, and in vacation, and before as well as after the Civil War was employed as clerk in Mr. Robert B. Craig’s grocery. At the breaking out of the was of the rebellion young Graham promptly answered the first call for volunteers to defend the Nation’s flag and honor, enlisting in an organization that became Company K of the Sixth Indiana Regiment, of which he was elected First Lieutenant, and with which he served in the West Virginia campaign, participating in the engagement at Philippi-the first battle of the war-the operations around Laurel Hill, the pursuit of the rebels upon their evacuation of that position, and their rout at cheat river.
When his tem of enlistment expired he recruited Company H, Thirty-ninth Indiana Volunteer (afterwards the eighth Cavalry), receiving the appointment of Captain, and he was afterward commissioned Major of the regiment.
Major Graham took an active part in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, Chickamauga and the lesser engagements, skirmishes, and raids incident to the Chattanooga and Atlanta campaigns, Sherman’s march to the sea, and the further operation up to the final surrender of Lee and Johnston.
During the months while the Union Army was hemmed up in Chattanooga, and for some time after the battles of Mission Ridge and Lookout Mountain, Major Graham was in command of the courier lines, charged with the very important duty of carrying dispatches through hundreds of miles of hostile territory; and although the country was infested with bushwhackers and guerillas, and repeatedly raided by the enemy’s cavalry, he succeeded in keeping communication open, and gained the approval of his superiors for his efficient discharge of this trying and difficult duty. Major Graham was truly a model officer-respectful and obedient to superiors, kind and generous to subordinates, cheerful to obey and quick to execute orders. He was modest and retiring to a fault, and his associates weree sometimes impatient that he did not assert himself in a manner to attract more attention; but the daily elbow-touch of comradeship, in the light of gleaming sword and saber, in the fiery crucible of battle, that burned away all dross and left the pure metal, his true worth was discovered and appreciated.
It is not told of Major Graham that as a solier he possessed that sort of bravery “that knew no fear,” that needlessly and heedlessly exposed self and men to danger for the applause that was often accorded to rashness. He was not a glory-hunter nor promotion seeker in any sense, and the huzzas of the whole army, the eagle of a colonel, or the star of a general, would have been no recompense to him for the unnecessary sacrifice of a single life, or the maiming of one soldier. His bravery was of that higher type, which, born of patriotism to country and a conscientious devotion to duty, prompted him to unflinchingly face the known perils of battle when ever the cause for which he fought could be thereby advanced. Entering the army at the beginning of the war as one of the promising young men of Madison, Major Graham returned to his home at its close with a spotless character, and with a soldier’s record that he was justly proud of, one which his family and friends may well cherish.
In the business affairs of Madison, in the politics of Jefferson County, and in the work of the various secret orders and societies, Major Graham has been a ruing factor. Laying aside the implements of war, he entered upon the civil duties of life with such energy and judgment as to soon acquire a competence. The hub and spoke factory, which he so long managed, has been one of the most prosperous of our manufacturing industries, enjoying a trade reaching throughout the South and West. But while looking after his individual interests, public enterprises and movements for the up-building of our city, and the betterments of our people, have had his hearty sympathy and support. It was he who, when the Eagle Cotton Mill languished, called the attention of Mr. Richard Johnson to the possibilities of the concern, and induced him to assume the active management, a management that has been so highly successful and beneficial to this community.
Mr. Graham was long a director of the First National Bank and the F & M Insurance Co., and was recently elected to the presidency of the latter institution. In the Masonic order, Indiana Commandery of the Loyal Legion, the GAR the Knights of Honor, the Royal Arcanum, Commercial Club, Washington Fire Co. and other societies he held position of trust and honor. He was strongly attached to his fire company, seldom missing a meeting and was one of its trustees at the time of his death. He was also president of the Board of Trustees of the Old ladies home Society. But in the councils of his political party he was particularly prominent, and there his advise and counsel will be greatly missed. An ardent Republican, giving freely of his time and means for the promotion of principles he deemed right, he yet retained the confidence and respect of his political adversaries, and he had a large personal following, embracing adherents of all parties. At a time when the Democrats had wrested every county office save one from the Republicans, Major Graham was selected by his party as its candidate for Auditor, to which office he was easily elected and re elected, and from his active entrance into politics dates the unvarying success of the Republican county ticket for a quarter of a century.
Major Graham was happily married, April 13, 1865 to Miss Agnes Walker, of Cincinnati, who survives him, and who has always been his loving and devoted helpmate. To them were born four sons and two daughters, all of whom, with their mother, were at his bedside to the last. The children are Alexander M. Graham, of the McKim and Cochran Furniture Factory; Mrs. Joseph Wood, of Chicago; Dr. Alois B. Graham, of Indianapolis; Miss Marion Graham; Rev. Thomas J. Graham of Iowa and John Graham, a student of Purdue University.
The funeral which will xxx xxx xxx Saturday next at two o’clock and will xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx. The burial services will be under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity.
Samuel L. Benefiel
At the residence of his daughter at Indianapolis Ind. Jan. 23, 1907, entered into rest, Samuel M. Benefiel in the seventy-sixth year of his age.
The deceased was the oldest son of James C. and Elizabeth (Taylor) Benefiel, and was born in Shelby township, Jefferson Co., Ind. and lived here until about twenty-five years ago, when he removed to Johnson Co. Ind., which has been his home until quite recently.
He was married in 1860 to Mary J. Hamilton (who died about two months ago) and to them were born one son and two daughters, all living. In August 1862 he enlisted in the 82nd Ind. Infantry and served until discharged for disability.
He united with the Jefferson Presbyterian Church in his youth and during his life was a devoted Christian worker, earnest and zealous, esteeming the prosperity of Zion above everything else. He leaves besides his children one brother and four sisters and many friends to regret his departure. He was buried beside his wife a Greenwood, Ind.
Died (Hebron Cemetery Records)
Parmenas Irwin, a pioneer of Monroe township, Jefferson County, died at 8:15 this morning of pneumonia at the home of his son Charles, on the Graham Road. He was in his eighty sixth year. He has been a resident of the county for eighty three years, having emigrated with his parents from North Carolina in 1820 and lived on the homestead for fifty-three years. He was married to Sarah Ann Bishop September 1817. They united with Monroe Presbyterian church shortly after their marriage. She preceded him to the better land December 15, 1881. There were born to them eight children, two having died in infancy. Those living are Harriet, Mrs. Elizabeth Vawter, Mary, Charles and Mrs. Sophronia Smith Oliver, who departed this life November 11, 1899. There are two grand children, Page, son of Oliver Irwin and Joseph, son of Charles Irwin. The funeral services will be held at Hebron Church Sunday, April 17, at 3 o’clock.
The following obituaries are taken from old, unidentified scrapbooks. They are in poor condition and will not make copies. I have transcribed them as accurately as possible. -Janice Barnes
Our local history-genealogy specialist is
Monday and Wednesday 1-5; Thursday 4-9 and Saturday 9-5. You can ask a question online or by phone at 812-265-2744.
The library wishes to thank the Community Foundation of Madison and Jefferson County for making this website possible!
The History Rescue Project :: © 2008-2009 by the Jefferson County Public Library. 420 W. Main St., Madison, IN 47250. (812) 265-2744.
This site is best viewed with Internet Explorer 7, Firefox, or the Safari Browsers