Browse Collection: Businesses (47 total)

In the 1940s C.D. Morrow established a cleaning business here. Mr. Morrow had previously been located at 218 East Third Street. The store motto was rather "catchy", being a play on the name Morrow. It was "BRING YOUR CLOTHES TO MORROW AND GET THEM BACK TODAY". This building was the Harper Drug Store…

George Dickinson had a livery stable here as early as 1886. The site served as a livery under Pickney Craig, James Phillips, Will Moyers, and Robert Bingham until the early 1920s. Between 1923 and 1925 the Coleman-Larimore Motor Company located here. By 1927 the Sutter Motor Company, operated by…

The original building at Mulberry and Main was built in the 1850s. In 1861 George Benson, the owner at the time, sold the building to James Hargan who operated a wholesale grocery business there with his son George. Greenville Johnson was taken into the operation in 1898 when James Hargan died and…

Charles Hamilton Rousch was born on October 8, 1890 and passed away on November 9, 1978 at age 88. He was a life-long resident of Madison. In 1908, at the age of 18, he founded the C.H. Rousch and Company located at 217-219 East Main Street. His business occupied the entire first floor of the…

This building housed a drug store in 1886 but by 1903 Levi Danner owned a grocery store here. The store was called the "Red Front Grocery Store." He kept the grocery until the mid-1920s when John Sample took over the building for a feed, flour and seed store. It was a feed store for the greater…

W. H. Peters went to work for E. Vogler in 1899 at Vogler's Drug Store in this building. In 1906 he purchased the store from Mr. Vogler. Peters was a pharmacist, having graduated from the College of Pharmacy at Louisville, and he had served as such at other locations before coming to work for…

Charles Kasper was in the grocery business beginning in 1910. He was situated on Second and Walnut for several years before he moved into the location at 507 East Main Street in 1930. This had been the site of a grocery store since 1878 but most probably the earlier grocery was torn down and the…

The original building was built about 1863 by John Craig and Fred Dubach as a dry goods store. It was modified and remodeled down through the years. In 1889 Nicholas Horuff and his sons operated the dry goods store. In the mid-1940s, it became the Goodman-Jester Department Store. Later it was…

In this picture the top floor of the building is still there, but in later years a fire occurred in the building and the third floor was taken down. For further information on the history of this building see "Page's Mill and Feed Store."

This building was built in 1913 as the Coleman-Larimore Chevrolet Garage and served as such until 1930. Harry Lemen states in his notes that "This was dad's office and our home in the early 30s." It then became home to the Farm Bureau and they used the building until 1949. In 1949 the Great…