Browse Collection: Schools (15 total)

While the Catholic Church had maintained various schools for its children from almost the beginning in Madison, these had been schools mostly of tenuous positions, depending on availability of teachers, resources and facilities. In 1905 came the first firm and stable school for St. Michael's…

View 2-another view of Central School. See view 1 for description.

The original part of the building was built sometime in the early to mid 1800s with a new front being added in 1868. It served as a private home, an inn, and a private seminary in the 1850s, according to Brooklyn Cull, who has researched the school in detail. It was purchased by the school-city on…

This building was a former high school from 1878 to 1907 at which time it became a grammar school from 1907 to 1918. In 1918 it became a junior high school and was used as such until 1928, when it was sold for private use. In the 1939 city directory it is listed as The Madison Recreation Center. …

"Broadway High School was the first commissioned high school for colored in Indiana" according to Grant S. Murray, Principal of the Broadway School from 1914-1917. In the September 6, 1880 edition of the Madison Courier, the newly opened school was described as follows: "43 by 43 feet, two stories…