Browse Collection: Businesses (47 total)

The first mention of the saloon at 211 East Main Street is in the 1887 city directory. Nicholas Kramer is listed as the owner. In 1905 Harvey Conner is the owner. At one point in the early 1900's, John Eckert and Sons offer stoves, furnaces, hardware and Queensware from this location. A few…

This firm was organized in 1890 by Henry B. Lotz and his brother Benjamin. They learned to make shoes by hand from their father, Bernhardt Lotz, who was a well known shoemaker. Henry passed away in 1931 and Ben continued the business until 1937 when he retired. According to the city directories…

This location was previously the site of the Sulzer Brothers Drug Company Warehouse which was demolished. Marcus Sulzer was still active in the business when he died in 1939. However, the property was vacant in the 1942 city directory so we can deduce it was taken down sometime between 1939 and…

Around 1863 John J. Craig went into partnership with Fred Dubach and opened a dry goods store at this location. The partnership lasted only about one year and John Craig then brought his brother Henry into the business. They formed the Craig and Brother Wholesale Grocery, later know as J & R Craig…

Fred Pfortner started his grocery business in these buildings in 1897. Before that the address at 317 had been a grocery and the other two buildings had housed various businesses including a locksmith, a restaurant, a store selling agricultural implements and a hotel. Mr. Pfortner maintained his…

In the Madison Courier, October 3, 1938, were these headlines, "New Ohio Theater Contains Most Modern Equipment Available." With this declaration, the Ohio Theater opened its doors to Madisonians. It was proclaimed to be the finest theater in this part of the state. It sported a red and blue…

This building was a drug store as early as 1876. The city directory for that year lists Benjamin S. Abberger, druggist, in the building. By 1886 Joseph De Loste, retailer and manufacturer of drugs, had a drug store there. In 1914 John Inglis moved his 26 year old drug store from Milton, Kentucky…

The sign over the door says "Established 1834". Inside, on the wall, is a copy of the original deed dated 1833 signed by James Lanier. In the 1859 city directory there is an advertisement and it states the owner to be Jacob Smith. The menu of that day included oysters, fresh fish and game. Jacob…

The sign over the door says "Established 1834". Inside, on the wall, is a copy of the original deed dated 1833 signed by James Lanier. In the 1859 city directory there is an advertisement and it states the owner to be Jacob Smith. The menu of that day included oysters, fresh fish and game. Jacob…

Built by Dr. George Denny in the late 1920's, this hotel was called the Hotel Denny until about 1967 when it became the Chalet Denny Motor Hotel. It was called the Swiss Chalet at one time but it has been mostly known, in modern times, as the Victoria Inn. When the hotel was first built, it was…