Browse Collection: Businesses (47 total)

Built by Dr. George Denny in the late 1920s, this hotel was called the Hotel Denny until about 1967 when it became the Chalet Denny Motor Hotel. It was called the Swiss Chalet at one time but it has been mostly known, in modern times, as the Victoria Inn. When the hotel was first built, it was…

In 1886 the Sandborn Fire Insurance maps list this address as a dwelling but by 1902 it is listed as a bakery. However, one year later a grocery store was located on the property and it remained a grocery store until the mid 1920's. J. H. Waltz ran the grocery from at least 1909 until sometime…

The Sanborn Fire Insurance maps show this building as a dwelling in 1886 and we know from city directories Ernest Downey lived here in 1909. In 1912 George Frank lived here and operated a grocery store on the ground floor. By 1947 it was called the Star Grocery Store. In 1953 famous big league…

This home was found in city directories as early as the 1870's. Originally built by the prominent Powell Family, it was a lovely home facing Madison's Main Street. The Lewis and Frank Powell families both lived there at one time in the 1800's. In the early 1900's, and for about 15 years…

Madison Hotel being razed. For a full description see "Madison Hotel" photo.

Sources vary as to who designed the hotel, though it is generally credited to Francis Costigan. The hotel encompassed 100 years of history in Madison. Another hotel, Fitzhugh's Hotel, which had been built in the 1830s was removed from the site and in 1849 the Madison Hotel was erected. On March…

The formal opening of Dr. George E. Denny's new Hillside Hotel took place on June 10, 1924. The main entrance opened into a beautifully furnished lounge. The bedrooms were equipped in "the most modern way and complete in every detail." The dining room had the capacity to care for 200 people. …

The formal opening of Dr. George E. Denny's new Hillside Hotel took place on June 10, 1924. The main entrance opened into a beautifully furnished lounge. The bedrooms were equipped in "the most modern way and complete in every detail." The dining room had the capacity to care for 200 people. …

The formal opening of Dr. George E. Denny's new Hillside Hotel took place on June 10, 1924. The main entrance opened into a beautifully furnished lounge. The bedrooms were equipped in "the most modern way and complete in every detail." The dining room had the capacity to care for 200 people. …

In the 1887 Madison City Directory James T. McCoy operated a livery stable in the building. In 1912 John Feurstien maintained a livery there. By 1925 M. C. Litson owned and operated a livery and in 1927 the sign above the door was Wallace McNeel. Evidently the building was used for various…