Browse Collection: Businesses (47 total)

The original structure was a Methodist Church erected in the 1850s. When it was converted into an opera house, there was additional space added in the back for a stage area. A balcony was needed and a new facade was added. It opened in 1886 and the building remained basically the same until its…

The original structure was a Methodist Church erected in the 1850s. When it was converted into an opera house, there was additional space added in the back for a stage area. A balcony was needed and a new facade was added. It opened in 1886 and the building remained basically the same until its…

In the 1886 City Directory the building was a general store and by the 1890-91 directory J. J. Kasper had opened a grocery on the premises. William J. McBride also maintained a grocery in the building in the early 1900s. In 1910 Charles N. Kasper, nephew of J. J. Kasper bought the business from…

In the 1886 City Directory the building was a general store and by the 1890-91 directory J. J. Kasper had opened a grocery on the premises. William J. McBride also maintained a grocery in the building in the early 1900s. In 1910 Charles N. Kasper, nephew of J. J. Kasper bought the business from…

The earliest city directory in which this business was found is the 1867 directory. It was listed as the W. W. Page Grocery. By 1872 it was listed as the W. W. and Benj Page Flour Mill. In 1890 it was called the Flour and Feed Store. After Mr. Page's death in 1913 it was, for some years, the…

In 1887 this building served as a boot and shoe store owned by George Diedrick. It was also Todd's Book Store. In 1890 Louis Holwager's Grocery Store was housed here. According to the city directories, the Western Union Telegraph Co. was once headquartered in the building in 1912 and before Mr.…

Charles Gertz purchased the corner property in 1863. The building was built of brick and overlaid with weather boarding. The basement ran north the entire length of the quarter block long building. This was the supply room, the work room and the oven. The firebricks of the oven were 9 inches…