Browse Collection: Businesses (47 total)

In the early to mid 1880s this address was a photography studio run by Manson R. Lanham and William W. Wagner. In 1889, Crozier Monuments was at the same address havng moved from the SE corner of First and Mulberry Streets. The monument company was started in 1867 by James H. Crozier, uncle to James…

This building is shown in the 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps but it was probably built several years before that. It was for several years the Anger Plumbing Co. but in the early 1920s it was the Antle Ice Cream Store. In 1925 Frank Schnaitter gave up the building across the street at 231 West…

This building is shown in the 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps but it was probably built several years before that. It was for several years the Anger Plumbing Co. but in the early 1920s it was the Antle Ice Cream Store. In 1925 Frank Schnaitter gave up the building across the street at 231 West…

This building was sold to the Vail family in 1924 by the Presbyterian Church. The Vails used it as a funeral home from 1924 to 1928 when they sold it to the Lutheran congregation. Since 1961 it has been the home of Historic Madison, Inc.

This building was probably built to be a livery stable or at least a building to contain horses. The 1859 city directory lists the building as McCubbin and Sons Livery. It was also called a livery and sale barn at one point. For several years in the 1880s it was the Fashion livery run by W.C. Watt.…

Louis Holwager started a grocery here around the turn of the century. In about 1909 his son, Oliver, took over the business and continued until his death in 1944. The Holwager family remained in the building for several years as a residence. In the 1960s it passed from the Holwager family and was…

The 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps show this building as a furniture store but we can't be sure who owned it at that time. We do know that by the early 1900s Edward J. Meyers had his business here. Mr. Meyers sold furniture, pianos and musical instruments. He owned the business for over thirty…

The first Jay C Store was opened in Madison in 1927 by J. C. Grubb of Seymour, Indiana. It was the second store opened by Mr. Grubb and it was located at 103 East Main Street. In 1928, Grubb opened another store at 319 Jefferson. After a few years the store became too small and the adjoining…

In 1886 a two-story boarding house was located at the 321 address. It was run by James W. Horton and it was also his residence. A little later it was called the Cottage Hotel. In the 1930s the site was cleared and until about 1942 it served as a garage and a storage building. Standerford Motor…

The building is in the 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps and it is listed as a saloon. The 1887 city directory lists the building as a saloon run by Julius Schmidt with his residence above. Evidently, the building was used for this purpose until somewhere around the early 1920s when Charles Lemen…