Browse Collection: Madison Railroad (3 total)

James Vawter built his log cabin on the site that the roundhouse would one day occupy. This was not far into the 1800's and the land was first a forest to be cut down and then it was farm and pasture land. The good farmer could not know what the future would hold for this bucolic expanse. The…

"In 1893 the railroad bought the whole block on First Street from Vine to Mill Streets and built the depot and moved it in 1894"-Madison Courier, November 28, 1981. The station was used for passenger service until June 22, 1935. It was used for freight services but by the 1950's it had become…

Built in 1908 and located near State Road 7 on the Hilltop, near Johnson Lake on Cragmont Street and demolished in 1968. Bushrod W. Taylor, Superintendent of the Pennsylvania Railroad in Louisville gave directions for the building of the station. It was for many years a busy center for passenger…