Browse Collection: Churches (8 total)

The First Baptist Church of Madison, founded in 1807, has the oldest continuous history as a Baptist church in the state of Indiana. The congregation occupied two different sites on the hilltop before moving to its current location at 416 Vine Street in 1831. The current building on that site is one…

The First Baptist Church of Madison, founded in 1807, has the oldest continuous history as a Baptist church in the state of Indiana. The congregation occupied two different sites on the hilltop before moving to its current location at 416 Vine Street in 1831. The current building on that site is one…

The Christian Science Church and Reading Room has been located at several addresses over the years, according to the city directories. They were once, for several years, located in the Jewish Synagogue on East Second Street, probably not long before moving to this address. The church is not found in…

The Christian Science Church and Reading Room has been located at several addresses over the years, according to the city directories. They were once, for several years, located in the Jewish Synagogue on East Second Street, probably not long before moving to this address. The church is not found in…

This building is Grecian classic, designed and built by Edwin J. Peck in 1835 for the sum of $8,000. It was built for a Presbyterian congregation that was devoutly opposed to slavery and had broken with their origial congregation after disagreements on this subject. The historic baroque organ made…

This church was built between 1954 and 1957. It is the latest Methodist Church built in Madison. The lovely church, featuring a beautiful steeple and bell tower, is on the far west end of Main Street.

The First Christian Church is located at 512 West Main Street in Madison. The original church building was erected in 1863. In the early morning hours of September 28, 1899, a fire of undetermined origin practically destroyed the entire interior of the church. Only the walls were left intact. The…

Erected circa 1831, the first sermon was preached by Reverend Lewis Hurlbut. The first trustees were John Woodburn, Charles Burnett, William Robinson, John Pugh and Charles Woodard. The first sextant was to "sweep the church, dust the pulpit and seats, make and keep good fires, light the lamps and…