Browse Collection: Schools (15 total)

Lower Seminary School was built in 1843 and was used for rentals to private or select teachers for some time then in 1852 it became one of the first "graded" schools in Madison. It was located at 714 West Main Street. An article by Charles Heberhart in the Madison Courier on October 7, 1938 states,…

Lower Seminary School was built in 1843 and was used for rentals to private or select teachers for some time. In 1852 it became one of the first "graded" schools in Madison. It was located at 714 West Main Street. An article by Charles Heberhart in the Madison Courier on October 7, 1938 states, "the…

This is the Pressburg School turned into a home. We would welcome any information on this old school.

From the Madison Courier, "It sat on a hill. Long since departed and unused is the old Eagle Hollow School, shown in a photo taken by the late Harry Lemen on October 16, 1927. The Eagle Hollow school was one of many such edifices in use before school buses came into popular use."

See Big Brushy Fork School-View 1 for description.

Located on what was the Stivers Farm on Ryker's Ridge, we know little of this school. We do know that Harry Lemen taught school here in 1909 and that it was evidently torn down soon after this picture was taken. Can anyone help with information on the old Telegraph School?

Located on Hanover Road near the foot of the hill. Anyone care to help us out with one?

The Hebron School was built in the 1850s. It was a substantial building made of stone. There was a cupola built atop the building with a rope extending downward inside so the bell could be rung. We do not know how long the bell was in existence or what happened to it. It was, as was typical for the…

Located in Shelby Township, this school was one of 13 established in the township. There being 13 schools, they were numbered from 1 to 13, beginning with the district in the northeast corner of the township. Brushy Fork was given the number 10. The first record found about Big Brushy Fork School is…

On November 6, 1922, Lide White sent the following letter to fellow citizens: "Dear Friend: The old Lower Seminary is no more and where it stood for so many years, a handsome up-to-date building is in process of construction. Among the many and desirable features of the new building will be a…