Browse (201 total)

The First Baptist Church of Madison, founded in 1807, has the oldest continuous history as a Baptist church in the state of Indiana. The congregation occupied two different sites on the hilltop before moving to its current location at 416 Vine Street in 1831. The current building on that site is one…

Louis Decar was born June 30, 1923 in his beloved Madison. His father, also Louis, was the chief florist at the Madison State Hospital until his death in 1924. His mother, Helen, who instilled in him a deep love and respect for his hometown, raised him. Louis, or Louie, as he is most commonly…

Louis Decar was born June 30, 1923 in his beloved Madison. His father, also Louis, was the chief florist at the Madison State Hospital until his death in 1924. His mother, Helen, who instilled in him a deep love and respect for his hometown, raised him. Louis, or Louie, as he is most commonly…

Pius Schneider was the son of Fredoline and Katherine Schneider. He lived nearly all his life in Madison working as a carpenter most of the time. He died in 1930 at the age of 77. He was the last member of his immediate family.

The Christian Science Church and Reading Room has been located at several addresses over the years, according to the city directories. They were once, for several years, located in the Jewish Synagogue on East Second Street, probably not long before moving to this address. The church is not found in…

The Christian Science Church and Reading Room has been located at several addresses over the years, according to the city directories. They were once, for several years, located in the Jewish Synagogue on East Second Street, probably not long before moving to this address. The church is not found in…

This is one of the many stone houses found in and around the county. This one was built by Col. John Ryker in about 1850. The stone was, no doubt, collected from the property for use in the building. Col. Ryker sold the house to Abel Douglas who still owned it in 1927. It was then sold to John…

This is one of the many stone houses found in and around the county. This one was built by Col. John Ryker in about 1850. The stone was, no doubt, collected from the property for use in the building. Col. Ryker sold the house to Abel Douglas who still owned it in 1927. It was then sold to John…

This is one of the many stone houses found in and around the county. This one was built by Col. John Ryker in about 1850. The stone was, no doubt, collected from the property for use in the building. Col. Ryker sold the house to Abel Douglas who still owned it in 1927. It was then sold to John…

This is one of the many stone houses found in and around the county. This one was built by Col. John Ryker in about 1850. The stone was, no doubt, collected from the property for use in the building. Col. Ryker sold the house to Abel Douglas who still owned it in 1927. It was then sold to John…