Browse (201 total)

The Broadway School dominated its Broadway Street neighborhood until it was set on fire December 31, 1969. For a complete description of the school refer to the Broadway School entry in the collection.

"Broadway High School was the first commissioned high school for colored in Indiana" according to Grant S. Murray, Principal of the Broadway School from 1914-1917. In the September 6, 1880 edition of the Madison Courier, the newly opened school was described as follows: "43 by 43 feet, two stories…

"In 1893 the railroad bought the whole block on First Street from Vine to Mill Streets and built the depot and moved it in 1894"-Madison Courier, November 28, 1981. The station was used for passenger service until June 22, 1935. It was used for freight services but by the 1950's it had become…

In the 1886 City Directory the building was a general store and by the 1890-91 directory J. J. Kasper had opened a grocery on the premises. William J. McBride also maintained a grocery in the building in the early 1900s. In 1910 Charles N. Kasper, nephew of J. J. Kasper bought the business from…

In the 1886 City Directory the building was a general store and by the 1890-91 directory J. J. Kasper had opened a grocery on the premises. William J. McBride also maintained a grocery in the building in the early 1900s. In 1910 Charles N. Kasper, nephew of J. J. Kasper bought the business from…

The earliest city directory in which this business was found is the 1867 directory. It was listed as the W. W. Page Grocery. By 1872 it was listed as the W. W. and Benj Page Flour Mill. In 1890 it was called the Flour and Feed Store. After Mr. Page's death in 1913 it was, for some years, the…

Built in 1908 and located near State Road 7 on the Hilltop, near Johnson Lake on Cragmont Street and demolished in 1968. Bushrod W. Taylor, Superintendent of the Pennsylvania Railroad in Louisville gave directions for the building of the station. It was for many years a busy center for passenger…

In 1887 this building served as a boot and shoe store owned by George Diedrick. It was also Todd's Book Store. In 1890 Louis Holwager's Grocery Store was housed here. According to the city directories, the Western Union Telegraph Co. was once headquartered in the building in 1912 and before Mr.…

Often described as the most beautiful building in the state, the building was two stories tall, constructed of Colorado Red Stone and highlighted with Bedford Stone. The interior was of Victorian Style and the woodwork was oak. The first city delivery service was started in 1889 with rural route…

Charles Gertz purchased the corner property in 1863. The building was built of brick and overlaid with weather boarding. The basement ran north the entire length of the quarter block long building. This was the supply room, the work room and the oven. The firebricks of the oven were 9 inches…