Browse (201 total)

Louis A. Ernst, Sr. was born at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania on November 14, 1846. When he was a small child he came with his parents to Cincinnati and in 1850 his family moved to Madison where he resided until his death on April 19, 1928. On October 4, 1870 he married Sophia Adell Brunner. She passed…

Darby Davis and his wife, Mae are shown relaxing along the Ohio as the Island Queen floats by. Darby Davis was born in Carroll County, Kentucky in 1886. In his younger days he was a blacksmith and boat tender, and in later years worked in the tobacco houses and as a fisherman. The couple lived on a…

Lower Seminary School was built in 1843 and was used for rentals to private or select teachers for some time then in 1852 it became one of the first "graded" schools in Madison. It was located at 714 West Main Street. An article by Charles Heberhart in the Madison Courier on October 7, 1938 states,…

Lower Seminary School was built in 1843 and was used for rentals to private or select teachers for some time. In 1852 it became one of the first "graded" schools in Madison. It was located at 714 West Main Street. An article by Charles Heberhart in the Madison Courier on October 7, 1938 states, "the…

This home is located on State Road 7, one mile south of Dupont near the Boy Scout camp. The turret on the north side of the home and the bay window give it a Queen Anne style look, but the rather plain, boxy look of the rest of the house does not continue the Queen Anne theme. The home was built at…

Herbert, known to the locals as "Rolly", Rowlison was born in 1869 to Manlybert and Viola Rowlison. Rolly never married, staying at home with his parents until their deaths. He worked for many years at Hill's Livery Stable on Broadway. He died May 16, 1945 at the age of 75 at the county infirmary…

This building was erected sometime between 1886 and 1892 (Sanborn Maps). It may have been the office building for the Dow and Brown Sawmill (see Dow and Brown Sawmill) for a time. In 1927, when this picture was taken, Lemen describes it as the Cassidy House. The 1927 city directory states that…

We have no information on this home other than it is in Wirt, Indiana and at one time was owned by Ennis Hull. Anyone care to help us on this one?

This is the Pressburg School turned into a home. We would welcome any information on this old school.

From the Madison Courier, "It sat on a hill. Long since departed and unused is the old Eagle Hollow School, shown in a photo taken by the late Harry Lemen on October 16, 1927. The Eagle Hollow school was one of many such edifices in use before school buses came into popular use."