Browse (201 total)

The home located at the southwest corner of First and Broadway was built in 1867 by William and Ann Hendricks. It was originally sold to Edward and Ellen Weyer. It had a number of owners and occupants down through the years. The Weyers occupied the home from 1867 until 1882 when it was sold to the…

Louis Holwager started a grocery here around the turn of the century. In about 1909 his son, Oliver, took over the business and continued until his death in 1944. The Holwager family remained in the building for several years as a residence. In the 1960s it passed from the Holwager family and was…

The 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps show this building as a furniture store but we can't be sure who owned it at that time. We do know that by the early 1900s Edward J. Meyers had his business here. Mr. Meyers sold furniture, pianos and musical instruments. He owned the business for over thirty…

The first Jay C Store was opened in Madison in 1927 by J. C. Grubb of Seymour, Indiana. It was the second store opened by Mr. Grubb and it was located at 103 East Main Street. In 1928, Grubb opened another store at 319 Jefferson. After a few years the store became too small and the adjoining…

In 1886 a two-story boarding house was located at the 321 address. It was run by James W. Horton and it was also his residence. A little later it was called the Cottage Hotel. In the 1930s the site was cleared and until about 1942 it served as a garage and a storage building. Standerford Motor…

The building is in the 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps and it is listed as a saloon. The 1887 city directory lists the building as a saloon run by Julius Schmidt with his residence above. Evidently, the building was used for this purpose until somewhere around the early 1920s when Charles Lemen…

Tthis home was built in about 1872 by Aurelius H. Gibson. Mr. Gibson was in the timber and barrel stave business. He lived most of his life here with the exception of a few years spent in Arkansas where he built a second barrel stave business and increased his fortune. He returned to Madison and…

This home was built in about 1872 by Aurelius H. Gibson. Mr. Gibson was in the timber and barrel stave business. He lived most of his life here with the exception of a few years spent in Arkansas where he built a second barrel stave business and increased his fortune. He returned to Madison and…

This building is Grecian classic, designed and built by Edwin J. Peck in 1835 for the sum of $8,000. It was built for a Presbyterian congregation that was devoutly opposed to slavery and had broken with their origial congregation after disagreements on this subject. The historic baroque organ made…

This home was built about the turn of the century. It was most likely built by the Alexander Graham, Jr. family and they lived in the home until the mid-1950s. In 1954 Charles and Elizabeth Rousch moved into the home. In later years, it was owned by the Campbell family. Through the years the…