Knights of Pythias Building-314 Jefferson Street

Dublin Core


Knights of Pythias Building-314 Jefferson Street


Clubs; Castles


The building with its medieval turrets was built in 1911. Its castle-like appearance has changed little since its dedication on November 9 and 10, 1911. At this time, the building was named "New Castle Hall." Though the building was meant primarily as a lodge hall for the K of P, the ground floor was, from the first, rented out for business. The third floor was set aside for lodge activities. The lodge hall itself was 41 feet 8 inches by 66 feet 6 inches with a ceiling 16 feet high. There was also a large reception room that was 19 by 27 feet and a kitchen area. There were 72 handsome oak chairs. For several years the local Redmen's lodge leased the upstairs room once a week for their meetings. The cost of the building was $25,000.00. In 1977 the K of P headquarters sold the building to Herman Rains but the city directories record the building as "Knight of Pythias Building" until 1980. In 1999 Rains sold the building. It still houses retail and business offices.


Harry Lemen, photographer


Madison Courier; Citiy Directories; Historical Files


Picture taken circa 1920s


Madison-Jefferson County Public Library


Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744


Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.


Still image



Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata




Harry Lemen, photographer, "Knights of Pythias Building-314 Jefferson Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #112, (accessed May 28, 2015).