Meyers and Son Manufacturing Company-200-202 Jefferson Street

Dublin Core


Meyers and Son Manufacturing Company-200-202 Jefferson Street


Business enterprises; Manufacturing industries


Originally built as the J. Schofield and Sons Woolen Mills in 1877 and continued as such for about 50 years. After the death of the founder in 1925 operations were briefly suspended, but the company was reorganized and the Fordyce Textile Manufacturing Company was formed to take over the business to manufacture woolen blankets. In 1926 there was a major overhaul of the plant. Much new equipment was added and the newspaper boasted the plant had the capacity of 800 pairs of 4 1/2 pound, 63 inch by 50 inch all wool blankets per week. W. L. Fordyce was president of the company at this time. By 1942 it was listed as the Meyer and Sons Manufacturing Company. The business continued until 1997 when the old woolen mill went out of business. It was soon converted to the Jefferson Antique Mall until 2002 when the mall closed and the building was sold to Dr. John Hubbard, who plans to convert it into medical offices.


Harry Lemen, photographer


Madison Daily Herald; Ron Grimes (researcher); Sanborn Maps


Picture taken early 1940's


Madison-Jefferson County Public Library


Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744


Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.


Still image



Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata




Harry Lemen, photographer, "Meyers and Son Manufacturing Company-200-202 Jefferson Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #120, (accessed May 24, 2015).