Peters Drug Store-327 West Main Street

Dublin Core

Title

Peters Drug Store-327 West Main Street

Subject

Business enterprises; Drugstores

Description

W. H. Peters went to work for E. Vogler in 1899 at Vogler's Drug Store in this building. In 1906 he purchased the store from Mr. Vogler. Peters was a pharmacist, having graduated from the College of Pharmacy at Louisville, and he had served as such at other locations before coming to work for Vogler. The interior of the store was typical of its day, being of one long room, a wide aisle was flanked on each side with glass display cases. Behind the display cases was a narrow aisle for employees and on the walls were floor to ceiling shelves enclosed with glass doors. In 1909 Mr. Peters installed a "modern and handsome soda fountain." Sometime in the 1930's it became a Clover Farms Store and later Koehler Supply. It is now a prom and bridal shop.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

City Directories; Madison Daily Herald; Louis DeCar, researcher

Date

Picture taken 1927

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744

Format

Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen12-petersdrugstore"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer , "Peters Drug Store-327 West Main Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #150, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/150 (accessed October 25, 2014).