Hebron Grade School

Dublin Core

Title

Hebron Grade School

Subject

Schools

Description

The Hebron School was built in the 1850s. It was a substantial building made of stone. There was a cupola built atop the building with a rope extending downward inside so the bell could be rung. We do not know how long the bell was in existence or what happened to it. It was, as was typical for the time, a one room school. One teacher taught all classes within its confines. In 1940 the teacher was Miss Cynthia Pendleton and she looked over 40 students. Four of these students traveled by bus and the rest walked to and from school. In May, one student graduated from the eighth grade. Eighth grade was as far as the little one room schoolhouse could take you.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

"They Say and Do in the Country" by Charles Heberhart. 4-25-1940.

Date

unknown

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744

Format

Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1301-hebrongradeschool"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer, "Hebron Grade School," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #157, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/157 (accessed November 1, 2014).