St. Paul's Lutheran Church-(Historic Madison, Inc.)-101 East Third Street

Dublin Core

Title

St. Paul's Lutheran Church-(Historic Madison, Inc.)-101 East Third Street

Subject

Church Buildings; Funeral Industry

Description

This building is Grecian classic, designed and built by Edwin J. Peck in 1835 for the sum of $8,000. It was built for a Presbyterian congregation that was devoutly opposed to slavery and had broken with their origial congregation after disagreements on this subject. The historic baroque organ made by William Johnson and Son was installed in 1866 or 1867. It was designed and built especially for the building. It was restored in 1961. The building served almost 100 years as the Madison Second Presbyterian Church. One of its last ministers was Dr. Barnard, father of the famous sculptor, George Grey Barnard. D.W. Fisher, who was later to become president of Hanover College, ministered here and Rev. Henry Ward Beecher once conducted revival services here. In 1926 the Lutherans bought the building from Frank Vail to use as a church. Vail had used it as a funeral home since 1921.Historic madison, Inc. purchased the building in 1961 from the Lutheran Church and it is now their headquarters.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Madison Courier; Historical Files; City Directories

Date

Picture taken 1950

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250

(812) 265-2744

Format

Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1327-oldlutheranchurch"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer , "St. Paul's Lutheran Church-(Historic Madison, Inc.)-101 East Third Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #177, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/177 (accessed October 25, 2014).