Charles Lemen Monuments Building- 207 West Main Street

Dublin Core

Title

Charles Lemen Monuments Building- 207 West Main Street

Subject

Business enterprises; Monuments

Description

The building is in the 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps and it is listed as a saloon. The 1887 city directory lists the building as a saloon run by Julius Schmidt with his residence above. Evidently, the building was used for this purpose until somewhere around the early 1920s when Charles Lemen had his monument business in the building. The monument business was moved to Mulberry Street in the late 1920s or early 1930s and the McCauley family moved a candy store into the building. They remained there, running the candy business on the ground floor and living in the residence above, until sometime in the early 1960s when Short's Xpert TV Service moved in. It later served as a variety store and a business office.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Madison Courier; City Directories; Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps; Ron Grimes, researcher

Date

Picture taken 1936

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250

(812) 265-2744

Format

Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1325-lemenmonumentshop"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer , "Charles Lemen Monuments Building- 207 West Main Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #180, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/180 (accessed July 29, 2014).