Standerford Motor Company - 219-321 East Main Street

Dublin Core

Title

Standerford Motor Company - 219-321 East Main Street

Subject

Business enterprises; Lodging houses; Automobiles

Description

In 1886 a two-story boarding house was located at the 321 address. It was run by James W. Horton and it was also his residence. A little later it was called the Cottage Hotel. In the 1930s the site was cleared and until about 1942 it served as a garage and a storage building. Standerford Motor Company took over the premises in about 1942 and remained there until about 1966 when McCubbin Ford moved in. By the late 1970s the building was empty. In 1980 Ivy Tech took over the building for its auto body shop training center and stayed until about 1995. The building now houses offices.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

City Directories; Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps; Ron Grimes, researcher

Date

Picture taken circa 1950

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250

(812) 265-2744

Format

Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1326-stannderfordmotors"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer , "Standerford Motor Company - 219-321 East Main Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #181, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/181 (accessed October 31, 2014).