Cassidy's Barber and Beauty Shop-113 East Main Street

Dublin Core

Title

Cassidy's Barber and Beauty Shop-113 East Main Street

Subject

Barbershops; Beauty shops; Business enterprises

Description

The 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps show this building as a furniture store but we can't be sure who owned it at that time. We do know that by the early 1900s Edward J. Meyers had his business here. Mr. Meyers sold furniture, pianos and musical instruments. He owned the business for over thirty years. After Mr. Meyers' death in 1931, Bernard Cassidy moved into the building and opened Cassidy's Barber and Beauty Shop. Mr. Cassidy ran a barber shop from this location until he retired in 1968. It remained under the name of Cassidy's Barber Shop until the mid-1990s. After that time, it became "The Main Connection" which was a beauty shop. Now it is a specialty shop called "The Cheshire Cat".

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Madison Courier; Historical Files; City Directories; Sanborn Maps

Date

date unknown

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250

(812) 265-2744

Format

Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1329-cassidybarber"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer , "Cassidy's Barber and Beauty Shop-113 East Main Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #183, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/183 (accessed December 21, 2014).