Holwager Grocery-117 West Main Street

Dublin Core

Title

Holwager Grocery-117 West Main Street

Subject

Grocery Stores; Business enterprises

Description

Louis Holwager started a grocery here around the turn of the century. In about 1909 his son, Oliver, took over the business and continued until his death in 1944. The Holwager family remained in the building for several years as a residence. In the 1960s it passed from the Holwager family and was for a time a private residence. In the 1970s Wycoff Pottery opened in the building and in the 1980s it was the Greenhill's Pottery Shop. It is now a private residence.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Madison Courier; City Directories; Historical Files

Date

Date unknown

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250

(812) 265-2744

Format

Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1328-holwagergrocery"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer , "Holwager Grocery-117 West Main Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #184, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/184 (accessed April 20, 2014).