Lower Seminary-714 West Main Street

Dublin Core

Title

Lower Seminary-714 West Main Street

Subject

Schools

Description

Lower Seminary School was built in 1843 and was used for rentals to private or select teachers for some time then in 1852 it became one of the first "graded" schools in Madison. It was located at 714 West Main Street. An article by Charles Heberhart in the Madison Courier on October 7, 1938 states, "The building was a large three story affair. It had one large room and a smaller recitation room on each of the upper floors and one large, one small one and halls on the first floor. The primary room had a row of desks along the walls and, except for a narrow aisle in the center, was filled with backless benches." In 1871 the school underwent some remodeling. At this time the two wings were added. The school was torn down in 1922-23 to make room for the Lydia Middleton School which still stands.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Madison Courier; Historic Files; Chas. Heberhart Files; Hiram Lemen

Date

Picture taken early 1900

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250

(812) 265-2744

Format

Scanned print, 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 800 pixels on long edge with a MicroTek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen 1007-lowerseminary"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer, "Lower Seminary-714 West Main Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #203, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/203 (accessed October 2, 2014).