Crozier Monument Company-228 West Main Street

Dublin Core

Title

Crozier Monument Company-228 West Main Street

Description

In the early to mid 1880s this address was a photography studio run by Manson R. Lanham and William W. Wagner. In 1889, Crozier Monuments was at the same address havng moved from the SE corner of First and Mulberry Streets. The monument company was started in 1867 by James H. Crozier, uncle to James E. Crozier who took over the business from him in 1900. The Crozier Monument comapny was the first to use pneumatic tools in Indiana. They made granite and marble monuments of any size "From monuments to mausoleums." The company also handled all kinds of building stone, iron fences, iron vases, iron chairs, and settees. It remained the Crozier Monument Company at least until the late 1940s but in the early 1950s the building housed a beauty salon and taxi cab compnay. It was torn down, along with the old Madison Opera House next to it, in 1960. The space is now a city parking lot.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Sanborn Maps; City Directories; Madison Courier and Daily Herald

Date

Picture taken 1945

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250

(812) 265-2744

Format

Scanned print, 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 800 pixels on long edge with a MicroTek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1409-croziermonuments)

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer , "Crozier Monument Company-228 West Main Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #219, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/219 (accessed September 1, 2014).