Gertz Bakery-Corner of Jefferson and Main Street

Dublin Core

Title

Gertz Bakery-Corner of Jefferson and Main Street

Subject

Gertz, Charles; Bakers and bakeries; Business enterprises

Description

Charles Gertz purchased the corner property in 1863. The building was built of brick and overlaid with weather boarding. The basement ran north the entire length of the quarter block long building. This was the supply room, the work room and the oven. The firebricks of the oven were 9 inches square. Civil War Soldiers passing through Madison patronized the bakery. The building was razed in the summer of 1928. A Mobil Oil Service Station was erected on the site after its destruction and it served as a gas station for several years until the property was sold to Public Service of Indiana and for many years it was "Heritage Square" and later became the office for the Madison Area Chamber of Commerce and Visitors' Center.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Historical Files-Madison Businesses; Madison Courier

Date

Picture taken 1927

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744

Format

Image taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, with No. 130 film. Negative scanned at 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge with a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1004-gertz"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer, "Gertz Bakery-Corner of Jefferson and Main Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #26, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/26 (accessed September 2, 2014).