Madison Post Office-SW Corner of 3rd and West Streets

Dublin Core

Title

Madison Post Office-SW Corner of 3rd and West Streets

Subject

Post office buildings; Public buildings-Indiana

Description

Often described as the most beautiful building in the state, the building was two stories tall, constructed of Colorado Red Stone and highlighted with Bedford Stone. The interior was of Victorian Style and the woodwork was oak. The first city delivery service was started in 1889 with rural route delivery beginning in 1899. Lloyd Mason, the contractor who did the demolition work, stated that the framework for the structure was of steel and the tile roof was nailed to a roof of solid copper with copper nails. Destruction of the grand old building was begun February 12, 1963. The research for much of the above description was done by Bill Distel. The site where the post office stood is now a city parking lot and Lytle Park.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Historical Files

Date

Picture taken 1927

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744

Format

Image taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, with No. 130 film. Negative scanned at 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge with a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1005-postoff"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer, "Madison Post Office-SW Corner of 3rd and West Streets," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #27, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/27 (accessed August 22, 2014).