Grand Opera House/Madison Theater-222-224 West Main Street

Dublin Core

Title

Grand Opera House/Madison Theater-222-224 West Main Street

Subject

Theaters

Description

The original structure was a Methodist Church erected in the 1850s. When it was converted into an opera house, there was additional space added in the back for a stage area. A balcony was needed and a new facade was added. It opened in 1886 and the building remained basically the same until its destruction on March 17, 1960. The original opera house presented everything from Shakespeare to Uncle Tom's Cabin, ballet to soft shoe; but as the new innovation known as movies came into being, the opera house began to move toward modernization. After the turn of the century, stage presentations gave way to the innovation of silent movies. In 1929-30 George Holwager, manager, announced the acquisition of equipment to enable the theater to present "talking movies." In 1935 "high fidelity" was introduced by Jeanette McDonald and Nelson Eddy in "Naughty Marietta." Another modern discovery may have helped contribute to the demise of the old theater. With the advent of TV, movie houses all over the country were finding it hard to compete. The grand old lady was leveled to make way for a parking lot in 1960.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Madison Courier; Historical Files

Date

Picture taken circa 1940

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744

Format

Scanned from photographic print created by Harry Lemen at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1029-madisonopera"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer, "Grand Opera House/Madison Theater-222-224 West Main Street," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #43, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/43 (accessed December 21, 2014).