McKee Home-Corner of Broadway and First Street-124 Broadway-View 1

Dublin Core

Title

McKee Home-Corner of Broadway and First Street-124 Broadway-View 1

Subject

Dwellings-Indiana; School buildings

Description

The McKee Home was built in 1846 by John Woodburn on the corner of Broadway and First Street. It was regarded as one of the best homes in Madison. It was lavishly outfitted with the best furnishings from Louisville and New Orleans. After Mrs. Woodburn died, John and two sons went to a plantation in Mississippi to live. He deeded the home to his second daughter, Mary Louisa Price. The Prices remained in the home until 1860. They sold the home to Robert S. McKee. It has thus been called the McKee Home. It was later owned by W. W. Burke and then Franklin P. Smith. Smith sold the building to the school board as a site for a new high school. George Lohrig, a local contractor, began razing the old home in October of 1927.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

City Directories; Madison Courier; Historical Files

Date

Picture taken 1927

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744

Format

Image scanned from photo postcard created by Hiram Lemen at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1020-mckee"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer, "McKee Home-Corner of Broadway and First Street-124 Broadway-View 1," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #45, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/45 (accessed December 20, 2014).