Soldier's and Sailor's Monument-Corner of Main and Walnut Streets

Dublin Core

Title

Soldier's and Sailor's Monument-Corner of Main and Walnut Streets

Subject

Monuments; Civil war

Description

According to library historical files, the original location was occupied by the market house located on the square which was on lots 69, 70 and 71 which had been laid aside for a courthouse, jail and public market place. The lots were sold to the county for the sum of $1.00 by John Paul, Lewis Davis and Samuel Burnet (Deed Record Bk "D", p. 93-Recorder's Office). By 1906 the market had fallen into disrepair and it was resolved it be removed. The city then received the land rights as a site for "an appropriate monument". The monument was to be placed on "lot 69 and 16 feet of lot 70". The monument was something the citizens of Madison had considered for some time. It was likely talked about right after the Civil War, but 25 years passed before definite plans began to materialize. On January 30, 1890, the Madison Daily Democrat speaks of "the Monument Commission" and its consideration of designs and artists, but resolutions concerning the monument were still being discussed sixteen years later. It was at this time the locatiion was decided upon. The commissioner's records state on June, 1907, that M. C. Garber, John A. Zuck and Elmer Scott, committee, "inform the board that exact site for Soldiers and Sailors Monument was decided upon by the donor and the engineer, W. B. Ray. Foundations were to commence soon." (Book 4 Comissioner's Record, June 1907.) George Middleton, an entertainment entrepreneur and former member of the 3rd Indiana Regiment, donated money for the monument. The dedication took place on May 29, 1908 and the Madison Courier of that date states, "The monument was erected by Henry Myers, of Indianapolis, the Western representative of McDonnell & Sons, of Buffalo, N. Y., and the sculptor of the group surmounting it was Sigmond Asblornsen, of Chicago. The figures were cast at Grand Crossing, Ill. One of the figures of the group is that of a spirited young cavalryman drawing his saber, and it is believed to symbolize Mr. Middleton himself, as he rode away in his teens with the 3rd Cavalry. All the figures are of heroic size, and the granite pedestal on which they rest is twelve feet high, so that the entire height from the ground to the top of the flag is twenty-seven feet. The total cost was $15,000, all contributed by Mr. Middleton, who caused the inscription to be carved on the shield: "They led and followed" Erected to the Everlasting Memory of the Soldiers of Jefferson County 1861-1865. By Their Comrade, George Middleton, Private, Co. E., Third Regiment, Indiana Cavalry". The monument is still located on the lawn of the jail near the corner of Main and Walnut Streets.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Madison Courier; "The Way It Was"; Family Files; Historical Files

Date

Picture taken circa 1940

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744

Format

Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"lemen1054-soldiersmonument"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer , "Soldier's and Sailor's Monument-Corner of Main and Walnut Streets," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #74, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/74 (accessed October 31, 2014).