Wesley Methodist Chapel

Dublin Core

Title

Wesley Methodist Chapel

Subject

Church buildings; Methodists

Description

Erected circa 1831, the first sermon was preached by Reverend Lewis Hurlbut. The first trustees were John Woodburn, Charles Burnett, William Robinson, John Pugh and Charles Woodard. The first sextant was to "sweep the church, dust the pulpit and seats, make and keep good fires, light the lamps and extinguish the same, keep order in the house and receive a salary of $55.00 per year. The colored congregation was given seats in the gallery at the south end of the church. They soon built their own church called the A. M. E. Church (later Ebenezer) on 5th Street near Walnut." The building was reconstructed for the Grand Opera House in 1885. See Grand Opera House for further information.

Creator

Harry Lemen, photographer

Source

Early History of Madison and Jefferson County by the Current Events Club

Date

Date unknown

Contributor

Madison-Jefferson County Public Library

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744

Format

Photograph taken with Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, using No. 130 film. Resulting negative (2.875in x 4.875in) scanned at 1200 DPI using a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. Online jpeg image file saved at 72 DPI 800 to 1000 pixels on long edge.

Type

Still image

Identifier

"Lemen1075-wesleychapel"

Contribution Form

Additional Item Metadata

Files

Collection

Citation

Harry Lemen, photographer , "Wesley Methodist Chapel," in Harry Lemen Historic Photo Collection, Item #86, http://www.mjcpl.org/photos/items/show/86 (accessed October 24, 2014).